Coronavirus pushes U.K. to breaking point

The worsening crisis and the news of the new strain are taking a psychological toll. The thought that he will take the virus home to his family plagues him. "You just don't know what's going to happen," he said.

England and Scotland to curb the spread of the mutant strain and to try to prevent Britain's beloved, taxpayer-funded National Health Service from collapsing on Monday.

"Our hospitals are under more pressure from Covid-19 than at any time since the start of the pandemic," British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, announcing the new restrictions.

By Friday, London Mayor Sadiq Khan declared a "" in the capital city's hospitals and admitted that health services are "at risk of being overwhelmed." Hospitals would run out of beds in two weeks unless the spread of the virus slows, he warned.

Download the for breaking news and politics

"Everyone is very stretched. Hospitals are very busy," said Dr. Jon Williamson, an anesthesiologist who has been redeployed to help handle Covid-19 patients in the intensive care unit at Whittington Hospital in north London.

With the unit filled with Covid-19 patients, he said, the latest wave is very similar to what he saw in March; patients arrive very sick and need high-level care.