29

The morning of the planned promposal, Mom told, "Remember you have a doctor's appointment at two."

I nearly dropped the mug of coffee I was inhaling. "What?"

She glanced up at me. "Did I not tell you? It's been on the calendar for two weeks."

The calendar, which hung on the wall behind me, had all of Mom's meetings listed on it, and various holidays and birthdays to remember. I hardly ever looked at it. There, under April 21, was James Doctor 2 pm.

"You want me to go to a hospital right now?" I said. "For a physical?"

"It isn't for your physical," Mom said, finally setting down her magazine. "Don't you remember? When you had that nosebleed a few weeks ago?"

That was the day I visited the school, had a flashback, then slept for nine hours. "Oh."

"That's right, oh. I'm worried about you. You're having these headaches and nosebleeds, and they've been happening for a while, haven't they?"

I didn't answer. It had been about six or seven months since the first time it happened. Cedric had been concerned, I should have known Mom would have been worried, too. Especially since she didn't know about my past life memories.

"I just feel like it's a good idea to talk to a doctor about it. And you don't need to panic about having to go to the hospital, it'll be online. I'll set it up on my computer so just come down at two, okay?"

"What's an online doctor visit going to do?" I asked, dropping into my chair. I had already psyched myself up for the promposal. Another thing to think about was too many.

"We're just going to talk about your symptoms, and the doctor will recommend if you need to get a test."

I supposed it wouldn't do more harm than my online past life regression. I tried to get myself together.

First, I texted Eli about the change in plans. I don't know how long the appt will take... reschedule for 3? That when Eli was going to pick up the stuff. Then I texted Cedric: apparently I have a doctor's appointment right after school – I'll call you after?

Cedric texted back first, with a simple ok and a worried-looking emoji.

Nothing major, I reassured him. But it's about my headaches and nosebleeds

Please call me as soon as you can. His words conveyed all the worry he must be feeling, while I felt no worry. I wondered if this was how he felt when I got anxious about COVID. I knew all my symptoms were because of the memories.

I did feel bad about how worried Cedric would be all day, but when Eli returned my texts, and we continued planning throughout our first two classes together, I could only think about how happy I would make him tonight.

At lunchtime I packed everything in my car and drove it over to Eli's. Both wearing masks, we transferred everything into Eli's car and blew up the balloons. "Dude, that thing looks legit," Eli said of the cardboard standup.

"I worked really hard on it."

"I can tell. If Cedric doesn't say yes, you need to dump his ass."

There wasn't ever a thought that Cedric wouldn't say yes. "I mean, he wouldn't say no, would he?"

Eli laughed and gave my shoulder a squeeze. "Of course he'll say yes. Please, don't look so tragic. He will say yes and you two will officially be the cutest couple I've ever met. Hashtag relationship goals."

I waved good-bye and hurried back home to log on to my next class. Two hours later, I was downstairs, sitting beside my mother as she logged us into my doctor's visit.