Ch. 15: A Lot to Talk About

Key: F/i/c = Favourite ice cream

~~~

A strong force slams itself against my chest, winding me and knocking me backwards. I expect to hit the ground, but I never do, I go flying off the ledge of the broken bridge. I try to grab onto something or fly back up, but I'm in too much of a panic to concentrate.

"Y/n!" I can hear Steve call out, watching as he leaps over the edge, grabbing onto it and catching my hand just in time. I stare up at him in shock,

"Thanks..." I look at Steve and then down, we're still going up. My chest heaves as I'm out of breath. In a smooth motion, Steve counts to himself quietly before throwing me back up onto the bridge. I grunt as I land on all of the rubble that's still on the bridge. As I try to catch my breath, Steve pulls himself up, fighting off the bots, making sure I'm not hit by another one and thrown over the edge again.

"Alright, we're all clear here" Clint calls from the coms, letting us know that where he is, has been cleared of the freak show bots.

"We are not clear! We are very not clear!" I stand up, watching Cap throw his shield, knocking back a robot as he proceeds to jam his shield in its chest, drop-kicking the thing so it'd break apart.

"Alright, we're coming to you," Clint says again, letting us know he's on his way. I walk over to Steve, helping him out as I suspend a few bots in the air.

"That's new..." Steve, let out a huff, looking up at the robots as he picks his shield back up.

"Believe me. There's a lot of new things lately that you don't know about." I say, not making eye contact with Steve as I clash some robots together.  I didn't give Steve the chance to say anything else as I noticed the familiar redhead. I smiled, instantly taking off towards her, and I think with Steve following behind me.

"Romanoff!" Steve called out from behind me, his signature shield flew past my head, sticking itself into a bots chest, giving Nat the chance to take it. As Steve and I get closer to Nat, a ringing starts playing in my ears, my knees suddenly weak as they wobble beneath me. I drop to the ground, hearing hoarse noises in my ears. Bringing my hands to my ears, I groan in pain as the noises begin getting to loud for my liking, this catches Steve's attention as he runs back and crouches beside me.

"Just go help Nat. I'll be okay." I wave him off, knowing that he can't be worrying about me this whole mission. He gives me a look that asks, 'Are you sure?' I give him a tight-lipped smile, watching as he hesitantly stands up, giving me another worrying look before running the rest of the way to Natasha.

I place my right hand on the hood of a car nearby, pulling myself up. My ears are still ringing, and I feel dizzy. I'm just hoping that I don't pass out in the middle of this all.

"Y/n, you need to sit down before you collapse again," I feel a hand being placed on my back as I hear Steve trying to convince me to sit this out,

"Cap's right, Moody, I don't think you have the strength to carry on like this." Nat continues after Steve,

"You don't get stronger by sitting down. You get stronger by sucking it up and pushing through. I am not sitting down." my tone is unfriendly. I wasn't asking, I was telling them both, that I'm gonna do this. That's why I became an Avenger, is it not? The two of them give me looks as I prop myself onto a car, with the help of Steve of course.

Getting a good look at my surroundings, I'm finally noticing how many people are actually around us. They're scared, terrified, in shock, mindlessly walking around and doing the best the can to avoid Ultron's children.

"We need to get these people inside. They aren't safe out here," I give myself a push off the car was leaning on, stumbling over to a lady who's holding a baby in her arms that's wrapped in a blue blanket. Approaching the lady, I can see mild cuts on her face and hands. She's holding the baby to her for dear life and it pulls at my heartstrings just seeing the fear on her face. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Steve and Nat, guiding other people in the building, one by one.