Chapter 29

Darry hadn’t slept all night. He was completely aghast.

He thought about every decision he had made in the past year, every time he made a choice, and he wondered how it had lead him to this point. This point of hysteria.

And the guilt.

The guilt that ate him up inside. If only it were possible to love without injury.  Fidelity isn’t enough.

He had been faithful to Rosey, and yet he’d hurt her. In a way he was glad his sister had struck out on him. He had forgotten her pain for too long.  I know my head isn't screwed on straight. He wanted to leave, transfer, and warp himself to another life. He wanted to confess everything, hand over the guilt and mistake and anger to someone else. Clearly he couldn’t handle raising his siblings; clearly he would mess up so bad and ruin their relationships with one another forever. Clearly, it was too hard.

Then the front door burst open, startling Darry. He looked up at her. He stood up abruptly, and opened his mouth to speak. But she stops him quickly and curtly.

“Where is he?”

Darry frowned slightly.

“I imagine he’s still asleep—“

The words had barely left his mouth before she was pounding up the stairs. Darry tried to call after her, but he knew there was no use.

---------------

Wakey, wakey Asshole!”

There were three loud knocks. And without waiting for a response, the door burst open, startling Sadie awake. She nearly jumped out of bed. Soda groaned next to her, always being a heavier sleeper. She’d forgotten about it because it had been a year since the last time they had slept together.

Rosey stood in the doorway, her rage momentarily cut short, stunned into mouth gaping quiet. She stayed there, taking the image in: her brother and Sadie, naked and in bed together. Who could’ve imagined that? More importantly, who’d want to?

There was a long awkward silence. The question of who would act first. What was to happen now?

Rosey made the first move, grabbing both of them and wrenching them to their feet.

“Put some fucking clothes on.” Rosey said, and then left the room.

Both of them were too shocked to object. Sadie, with shaky hands, picked up Soda’s shirt and threw it over her head. Then she took his jeans and slid them on. Undergarments were momentarily forgotten. She briefly looked at Soda, who was looking back at her.

They both walked into the living room. Rosey was standing with her arms crossed. And Darry behind her.

There was a horrible, swelling, billowing silence. Rosey was staring at them with a look of vindictive fury.

“I meant your own clothing.” She bit, glaring at Sadie. Sadie gulped, and looked down.

“Well, good morning, good morning, good morning,” Rosey chirped, looking not one bit pleasant.

“Sorry to wake you lovebirds, but I think we need to talk.”

Soda looked up now, grimacing, and looking at her confused. “Rosey—“

“No,” She hissed, “It’s my turn to talk.”

Soda shut up, but he was very puzzled.

“Did you two…” Darry muttered from behind Rosey.

“They sure did,” Rosey mused.