one.

park youngmi's pov

7:00 A.M. was what my clock read, ringing loudly into my ears as i dreadfully wait for my classes to start at 7:15. due to the pandemic the world's currently in, all of my classes are online. honestly, i kind of like it as i don't have to get out of bed, and the majority of the time, never have to turn on my camera. thank the heavens for that since i feel so ugly, especially when i don't have the energy to look presentable for my class.

i pushed up my glasses before turning on my laptop. my fingers grazed the touchpad until i found my school's website. i typed in my login and joined my first class which was math. as i was taken out of the waiting room, i noticed that only a couple of students had their cameras on.

they're always the goody-two-shoes who always suck up to the teachers in order to look better in front of them and get better treatment. or some girls try to look extra pretty on camera as in some cases, such as this class, there are extremely gorgeous guys who are the most popular in our grade.

"okay, class. today is an easy day for you guys." my teacher began to say as everyone had entered the virtual classroom. i usually tune them out by now and do my own thing. i began to scroll endlessly on my phone and watched tiktoks. i slowly feel myself get sunken into the never-ending pit of the internet, that was until my teacher's voice caught my attention.

"everyone, cameras on, and get ready to join your breakout room. it'll be one on one with a fellow classmate. good luck." my eyes widen and i sit there dumbfounded. what the actual fuck???  i watch my screen as the black boxes with names that filled mine screen suddenly turn into the faces of my classmates. some of them i've never seen before in my life. i turn on my camera as i shake off the nervous energy that was building within me. i don't even know what the hell my assignment is. i hope to god that my partner knows and they help me complete it, that'll be a lifesaver.

'breakout room 5' popped up on my screen. with a shaky breath, i click 'join'.

kim taehyung's pov

'breakout room 5' lit up my screen. i sighed and clicked join. in my head, i just hoped that they were talkative and knew what the hell this assignment was. i wasn't paying attention at all and the teacher pushed us into breakout rooms. i notice teachers only do this when they're too lazy to actually teach us the material and instead have us teach ourselves. as i joined the breakout room, i see a girl wearing round glasses and her hair tied up in a messy bun. you could tell she wasn't prepared for the sudden turning on of our cameras and she was nervous about anyone seeing her outer appearance.

"h-hi." she squeaked out, covering half her face with the sleeve of her hoodie. i gave her a warm smile and replied, "hey, i'm taehyung." i greeted her and she gave a shy wave. i examine her room and something suddenly catches my attention. she had a tame impala poster on her wall right next to her bed. these posters were accompanied by other memorabilia of many different artists. she grows quiet and i chuckle at her confused expression, "you like tame impala?" i asked her. pointing at her poster.

"oh yeah!" she beamed smiling, it seems as if her music taste is something she's very excited about. "i love his music so much. it's always stuck in my head and it takes me away into a whole different dimension." she smiled, closing her eyes as she spoke passionately.

i was in complete awe as she continued to speak. i've never seen someone who had the same passion for his music and it honestly made me extremely ecstatic. i suddenly remember why we're put in a breakout room and rub the nape my neck for running my fingers through my hair. "oh um..." i say looking down at the name on the bottom left of her screen. "youngmi?" i ask as her head pops up, doe eyes staring back at me. "do you happen to know what assignment we're supposed to be working on?" i ask her and at that she laughs.

she laughs. not like the fake annoying giggles that come out of the plastic bitches who are in this class. it's a genuine and humane laugh. it's quite endearing if you might ask me. she lets out a snort before clearing her throat. "i was hoping you were gonna know what assignment we were gonna do." she smiled.

"ah, i guess we're screwed." i joked and she laughed. i sensed that it was gonna grow awkward between us as the silence began to elongate. "well, youngmi. tell me about yourself." i inquired and she thought for a second. "well, you know my favorite artist... but i also love sza, jhene aiko, rex orange county, and dayglow. i'm 16 turning 17 in april... and i love all animals, especially cats." she explained, smile painting her face as she fixes her glasses.

"well, i'm a couple months older than you since i was born in december. i listen to tame impala too since he's actually my favorite artist too," i say as i look at her face, trying to read what's going on inside her head. she isn't like the others. i could tell as she isn't trying so hard to get my attention however, she's definitely caught it. i clear my throat, getting ready to tell her some other things about myself.

"other than him, i also listen to a lot of k-hiphop. if you like mellow music and to zone out to i think you would like dpr live." i tell her as she replies with a steady nod. "i've heard of him before." she says with a soft look on her face. i could tell she is getting more comfortable with talking to me and it was actually quite nice since i was as well.

"oh yeah! i have a little pomeranian named yeontan, if he wasn't asleep right now i'd show him to you." i chuckle and she lets out a small giggle. we continue to talk about different topics ranging from other artists we like to why our teachers can't hold our attention longer than five seconds during a normal lesson. i'm surprised i've never seen her before today, she's so adorable.

her perfect complexion without the use of makeup, silky-looking black hair, and adorable round frames of her glasses that slide down her nose whenever she moves just a little. wait why am i even thinking about her like that...? i've only known her for fifteen minutes and i could already tell i'll be talking about her all day. 

suddenly my attention snaps back to reality as another voice joins our conversation. "hey, uh,,, taehyung and youngmi. how's your assignment going? any questions?" mr. han asked the two of us. uh yeah, i do. what are we even supposed to be doing?

i look over at youngmi and i could see her trying to stifle in a laugh which caused me to do the same. "mr. han, we're doing just fine. thank you though." i lied with a straight face, clenching a fist in order to stop myself from laughing. "ah, very well! class is ending shortly." mr. han told us before leaving the breakout room.

there was a moment of silence before we both burst out in laughter. "taehyung-ssiiii, why didn't you tell him we had no clue what we were doing? i can't fail this class!" she pouted after a laughing fit. i chuckle and turn to her and shake my head, "youngmi-ah, don't worry about it. i'll figure it out and i'll send you the answers okay?" i ask with a raised eyebrow. "okay.. wait how? you don't have my number or anything." she said with a tilt to her head. "wellll, why don't you-" i was cut off by the meeting ending and a white box on my screen saying, 'the meeting was ended by host.'

fuck. she was probably gonna give me her instagram or something. 

i send a message to my brother, namjoon, and exhale through my nose. i lean back into my chair and smile, remembering her adorable quirks. wait what am I even doing? i must seem like a freak. 

i chuckle and lean back into my chair and spin around to face my own tame impala poster that sits upon my wall.

'ah youngmi.. i'll see you soon some other day. we still need to work on this project.' I think to myself as i turn back around towards my laptop, joining my next class

_______________

a/n

hey guys! new fanfic and i hope you guys like this chapter <3 pls vote!!