chapter two

Life had moved on for everybody else. It had been almost a year and Ray still felt like one day he would wake up and realize everything had just been a horrible dream and he was still at the firehouse with his friends and he was still a Ghostbuster. Or better yet, he was still at the University and all of their studies were going great and everything was easy.

Despite all that, Ray deep down knew that none of this was a nightmare so he had gotten a job at a bookstore. Easy, stress free, the fate of the world was no longer in his hands and he was more than okay with that. He had nothing in the world to worry about except the fact that he hadn't heard from any of his friends since the last time they all saw each other. That bothered him, a lot.

Ray couldn't cope with the fact that he was well and truly alone. Every single day seemed to drag on forever without his friends around. He felt as though he had no purpose, no drive. Everything he used to do was for his friends. For Peter, for Winston and for Egon. He would try to get in contact with them but he wasn't sure if anybody wanted to hear from him since he was the reason the Ghostbuster weren't allowed to bust ghosts anymore.

It was just like any Tuesday afternoon in July. It was too hot and Ray was going to working a long shift which did not make Ray happy as the air conditioner was broken and had been broken for years. He begrudgingly opens up the shop at 9 AM on the dot and hopes that today will go by quickly.

Ray had his nose buried in a book about different types of ghost hunting techniques when the bell at the door chimed, signifying that a costumer had entered the store. Ray sighed and put his book down but before he could push up his reading glasses so he could see the costumer to greet them, a familiar voice rang out.
"Raymond?" It was Egon, Ray knew that voice anywhere. Ray fumbled to push his glasses up, looking over at Egon with slightly widened eyes.
"Egon?" Ray said, sitting up a bit straighter on his stool. "What are you doing here?" He asked, his voice shaking as he fumbled with his hands a bit.
"I came here to pick up a book order." Egon said, stepping closer to the counter.
"Oh, that was for you? You're back at the University?" Ray asks, completely shocked by the fact that Egon was in front of him after almost a year.
"Yes, they invited me back." Egon states, as serious and as straight to the point as ever. Oh, how Ray missed Egon
"Oh, well, um, alright, I'll go grab that for you." Ray says, carefully getting off his stool.

Ray doesn't think he even breathes until he closes the back room door behind him. Egon was here. That shouldn't be that scary or stressful. Egon is Ray's friend. Or was he? It's been so long, they might not be friends anymore and that terrified Ray. They had to be friends, they'd been through so much together.

Ray realizes how long he's taking and quickly snaps himself out of his thoughts, picking up the boxes of books that Egon had ordered through the University. He takes a deep breath before opening the back room door and stepping back out, placing the box of books on the counter.
"Well, um, here you are." Ray says, his voice still shaking as he refuses to meet Egon's eyes.
"Thank you, Raymond." Egon says, carefully grabbing the box of books from off the counter.
"You know, um, it was nice seeing you." Ray blurts out, quickly looking up at Egon with a sheepish grin. "It's certainly been a while." He says and Egon nods.
"It has. Have you heard from Peter or Winston lately?" Egon asks, placing the box of books back down on the counter. Ray shakes his head, frowning a bit.
"I haven't heard from them at all, honestly." Ray says, trying not to sound too upset about that despite the fact that he was. Egon frowns a bit but nods.
"Not surprising. Peter's too proud to reach out to any of us and Winston has a baby on the way." Egon states and Ray lights up at the mention of Winston starting a family.
"Oh, well, that's wonderful for Winston. If you're able to get in contact with him, can you tell him I'm happy for him?" Ray asks, sitting back down on his stool with a slight smile on his face.
"I will try to." Egon says and Ray nods, relaxing a bit.
"Well, I should get going now though." Egon says which causes Ray's mood to immediately drop.
"Oh, well, um, I'll see you around?" Ray asks, hoping he isn't soundly pushy or clingy.
"Yes, I'll see you around." Egon says before picking up his box of books and walking to the door.
"Bye, Egon!' Ray calls out before Egon can open the door.
"Bye, Raymond." Egon says before stepping outside of the bookstore and disappearing in the crowded streets of New York.

Ray kicked off his shoes and closed his apartment door when his shift was done and he was home. He couldn't stop himself from thinking about Egon. It was so nice to see one of his old friends and there was the slight promise that he could potentially see Egon again.

For the first time in a year, Ray slept soundly.