One

For all the locations they could be in, Sara had not seen this coming. Having all the legends in a pet store felt like a recipe for disaster. But after a lengthy discussion with Charlie and Nyssa, she had to accept it. The legends all wanted pets. Sometimes she felt that her weakness to her partners' big brown eyes was the reason she didn't have the legends under control. Other times, Mick and John set the library on fire while they summoned a demon to do their laundry. It was then when she knew that Charlie and Nyssa were quite capable.

"So what are the rules?" Zari asked, going from cage to cage, looking at the softest creatures.

"You each get one pet, you must take care of it and you must stop it from starting fights," Nyssa explained. She watched as Zari looked at a cat, exactly like she had looked when John turned her into one.

"And don't let it get into our food!" Sara stood in the middle of the store with her arms crossed, watching as Mick eyed a large rat. Axel two, perhaps?

"We're allowed regular pets, no mythical creatures," Charlie pouted. If Sara hadn't vetoed that rule, Charlie, Nate, and Zari would've gone all-in on a dragon. But nooooo.

"I've picked one!" Zari bumped her hip against Nyssa's to ask for her attention. "What do you think of this bunny?" She pointed to a soft grey one, with large floppy ears and dark eyes.

"They look very sweet, Zari. You are sure you want a bunny?"

Zari glanced at the cat once more, then nodded. "Yes. The cat will attempt to eat my food and I can make obstacle courses for a bunny. Besides that, I can already hear the cat jokes."

"Then I will help you get what you need to give the bunny a good home." Together, they went off to find a cage and some other items.

"Look at that, you've taught her well." Charlie wrapped their arm around Sara as they tilted their chin in Nyssa's direction.

"Yeah, it's nice to have another captain around." Sara eyed Charlie with a smile. "You're not bad at it either, but you definitely prefer to create chaos, not control the chaos." She pressed a kiss to Charlie's cheek.

"Oh honey, I am chaos. Now, what kind of pet would you like? I know you're not a dog person." Charlie gently shoved Sara in the direction of the fluffy creatures, as they turned to John.

"No you cannot have a tarantula," they said before John could even get the question out. "I get it but you live in the library. No one will ever enter the library again."

Rolling his eyes, John mumbled, "Nyssa would." Then went off to see the scaly friends.

After John, Nate, and Zari had taken their pick, Mona decided on a small golden retriever. Sara wasn't a dog person but no one could ever resist Mona when she truly wanted something. Besides that, everyone had faith in Mona. She was trained to take care of creatures. Mick had indeed chosen a new rat and if you looked closely you could see him smile.

"Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all," Sara mumbled. She stood near the selection of cats who were returned to the store in the past, their owners either moving or unable to give them the love they deserved. Sara watched as Nyssa's usual stance softened when she reached out toward a black cat. It raised itself onto its' three paws and gingerly moved closer to Nyssa's hand, her fingers sticking through the bars on its cage. "You're a softie," Sara whispered.

Nyssa turned her head. "What did you say?"

"I said that you're a sweetie." Sara elbowed Charlie in the stomach when they started laughing. "Chosen your pet, Charlie?"

Rubbing their ribs and shooting Sara a dirty look, Charlie looked around. "Nope. Looked at the dogs but since you two have been falling in love with cats I didn't think that was a good idea." Their eyes fell upon Nyssa, who sat down next to the black cat, barely able to take her eyes off it. "Hey princess." They lowered themselves onto their knees next to Nyssa. "You've made your choice, haven't ya?"