Twenty

Briar's POV

kolton :D

hey, i haven't officially announced this yet, but i'm having my party next saturday. 

will you come?

i'm not sure if i can...

do i need to convince you to go?

my answer is no

gee thanks :'(

read at 8:17am

I sighed in frustration. It was his birthday next Saturday, and I wanted to go, but there was one thing keeping me from saying yes. 

Seeing Myles at the party. Yes, it's stupid being afraid of confrontation when he's always at school. Just not around me. I've tried my hardest not to keep my eyes peeled for him. However, that just doesn't go to plan. 

Berks has been good company the last few days, that's for sure. We spent the weekend at her place baking a cake with her younger sister Dylan. Well, let's say that the cake didn't turn out like the photo on the recipe. We were all too hooked onto watching the latest epsiode of Brooklyn Nine Nine that we didn't realise the oven timer had gone off. 

~TWO DAYS EARLIER~

[no particular POV]

Dylan caught whiff of something burnt. It was coming from somewhere out there. 'Probably the neighbours again, always overcooking their food,' she thought. Hang on a second. The cake!

"Do you guys smell that?"

Briar and Berkeley turn their heads to a panic stricken Dylan, her eyes wide in fear.

"Oh my goodness," Berks whispered, "it's not the cake, is it?"

The girls sprinted to the kitchen. There was a thin wisp of smoke was seeping out of the oven. Dylan turned off the oven as Briar slowly opened the oven door. Meanwhile, Berkeley had put on oven mitts. 

When she pulled out the cake tin onto the cooling rack, they cringed at how blackened the top of the cake was. The bottom of it would be just as bad. Luckily, the smoke hadn't set off the fire alarm.

"Maybe we should keep an eye on the oven next time?" Briar suggested.

"If there is a next time," Dylan muttered, shaking her head in disapproval.

~BACK TO PRESENT TIME~

"Please?"

It was clear that neither Berkeley or Kolton were giving up. No matter how many times I told them I didn't want to go, they didn't accept my answer as a no. I know that they know why I'm reluctant to, so begging isn't going to work.

Berks placed her hand on my arm. "You know I'll be there with you the whole time, right? I won't let him go anywhere near you."

I shook my head. She's my best friend and all, but I don't need another accidental meet with him. All he wants to do is talk to me about Kiara. It hurts me to think about it, even though I know Kolton's still with her.

"Come on, you wouldn't miss my birthday, would you?" Kolton puts on a sad puppy face.

Briar rolls her eyes. "Fine, you win."

He suddenly begins bouncing up and down in excitement, celebrating her defeat. Berkeley couldn't help but laugh at the sight, and soon Briar had caught on. Collapsing onto each other with more fits of giggles.

A happier chapter this time, as you can tell. 

Next chapter is the night of Kolton's party, got any theories for what will happen? Comment your thoughts below!

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone :)