Tony Stark X Reader - Attention

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Attention' by Charlie Puth. I hope you all enjoy it.

Don't make a scene you reminded yourself as you leant against the wall, plying yourself full of drink in an attempt to completely forget that Tony was at the bar flirting with any woman who came close enough to hear him. It's Steve's birthday and he asked you very nicely to play nice, so don't go making trouble you added, pressing your eyes closed for just a moment.

But God, it was so hard to remain civil when all he ever did was spread nasty rumours about you. You'd heard from a friend in S.H.I.E.L.D that he'd been telling people a variety of stories, ranging from you having cheated on him to him having dumped you for being too clingy. Perhaps the latter had been a little closer to reality, but that was beyond the point. 

You allowed your eyes to wander to where he was standing, a bright smile plastered on his lips whilst you lingered on the edge of the fray, looking utterly miserable. How was that even fair? You were always going to be the one that struggled when things ended. He bounced back better than a rubber ball and you just sunk and sunk and sunk until you'd hit rock bottom. And you'd quite managed to rise back to your old self yet. You knew it better than anyone else. 

A hand on your elbow drew you out of your own mind, reluctantly dragging your eyes away from your ex. "Stop staring," Nat uttered, linking her arm through yours and moving you away from the wall. "You're giving him exactly what he wants, standing over there looking like some bigger kid just stole your candy."  

A small snort bubbled out of you at her comment. "You aren't allowed to be mean to me," you told her firmly, resting your head on her shoulder as she steered you over towards the other boys, all huddled together chatting. "I'm sad," you added with a small pout. 

"If I had to stop being mean every time you got sad I'd never get the chance to be mean ever again," she teased, watching you wrinkle your nose in disgust. She wasn't wrong. You'd been moping around over Tony for far longer than you should have, but every time you thought you'd gotten over it he'd done something to make life ever harder for you. "He's being a dick, but he doesn't deserve to make you this miserable," she added, pausing mid-step and stopping you before you could reach the boys. 

"You've heard what he's been telling people." You shook your head. 

"Yes," she answered simply, giving a small shrug. "And you and I both know that they're just rumours." She let out a soft sigh as you furrowed your brow at her, looking all mopey again. "Look, he clearly just wants to get a rise out of you, and you shouldn't let him. It's Steve's birthday! We're supposed to be having fun with our favourite senior citizen," she exclaimed, giving your arms a rough squeeze before releasing you.

You forced a small smile onto your lips. "Fine," you started. "But if he comes over here you have to make excuses, okay? We can go to the bathroom, or the bar, but I can't just stand there and listen to him witter on all night." 

Nat held up her hand, extending her pinky in your direction. "Promise."

A real smile pulled at your lips as you linked your pinky with hers.

*Time Skip*

You'd spent most of the night without having to interact with Tony. Nat had been true to her word, too. As soon as he'd come over, with some model-esque woman hanging on his arm, she'd quickly whisked you off with the hurried excuse of needing another drink. No one had bothered to mention the full glass in her hand, and you hadn't wanted to be the one to correct her. 

But then the night had dwindled and people had started heading home, and you were bundled onto one of the plush sofas with Nat, laughing like you had when you had still been living at the compound. That had been the hardest part of the break up really. You'd gone from being surrounded by your support group 24/7, and then poof, they were gone.