chapter one

friday, february 13th, 1981,

emmie castlers birthday present was a doll. not a barbie doll, not an american girl doll, but an antique doll. the little girl took a moment to look at the doll before disregarding it. 

emmie threw it onto the carpeted floor, almost shattering it, and continued to unwrap presents selfishly, as if the doll didnt exsist. 

that night the unnamed doll sat in the bed in the attic of emmies dollhouse. the dollhouse was fairly basic, a two story house, pink walls with painted flowers on the sides, and plastic pink furniture. the attic was even more dull then the rest of the house. it consisted of an uncomfortable plastic bed with thin covers, a wooden TV, and a possibly ancient rocking chair. 

the doll heard a sucking noise and saw a blinding light. she was petrified.

the flip-open roof of the dollhouse opened as the doll shook with fear. though her fear was soon extinguished. a woman had opened the roof. she was a young adult, mid-30s maybe. she peered into the small dark attic and reached to pick up the doll, and gently lifted the porcelain girl. "w-what do you want" the doll asked shakily "why, im here to help you. emmie doesnt care about you, and thats obvious. come with me, dear," the woman said in a low tone.

the doll nodded, there was so way she would be able to go anywhere anyways, so what would be the use.

the woman reached into the pocket of her large fur coat and fumbled for a pen. she found a fairly fancy one and grabbed the most flawless toy car she could find from emmies collection. "in case you were wondering im mae calloway, but you can can me mother," the woman told the doll giving her a smile, and practically reading her mind. "o-okay mother," the doll said. 

mae stepped out of the room, doll in hand, and made her way done the hallway and stairs and placed the fragile doll on her shoulder. the two exited the front door and reached the street. mae placed the toy car on the ground. she took out a journal, doing a few math calculations while the doll clung to her neck, looking back at the two story house. it was a light blue shade, fairly average, and it had a garden in front. this was the first, and yet the last time she would see that house.

mae took out a larger, finer pen once she finished, which took about five minutes. she placed the car onto the pavement and wrote "e/f x 103.333333333333333 - oz x 51880" next to it. she tapped her foot, and in an instant it went from a regular hot wheels car to a real size convertible . the doll gapped in awe. mae stepped into the car, and set the doll in her lap. "hold on tight dear," mae spoke before stepping on the gas.

for a few minutes everything was a blur to the doll, but after that they were slowing down driving slowly down a seemingly abandoned road. they drove down a path into a small garden-ish/forest thing, and then got out of the car when they neared what was most likely their destination, and the doll rode atop maes shoulder as they strode toward a small at first, lincon - log like building, that was surrounded by trees. it was mossy, and covered with vines, and it looked shabby, as did the green tin roof that went along with it.

"lets get you cleaned up, oh and i forgot to ask your name..," mae spoke 

"okay, and i dont have one..."

"see, emmie didnt even bother to give you a name, then lets get you one," mae said cheerily, as they entered the building. the interior was not at all expected, it was enormous, there were lots of rooms, too many to count, and too many to have fit inside what she had just seen. the walls were a shade of light forest green, which went beautifully with the dark brown wooden flooring.  for all the rooms the doll could look into everyone was hard at work, and this was only a fraction of what was yet to be seen here. the doll was fascinated, she had learned so much already by just looking, but she was going to learn much, much more.