one

Disclaimer: there will be drinking throughout this story.

also, song above was the inspiration for this whole story, so here's my idea in words...

hope you enjoy

~maya 

"Have you heard?" Daniel asked casually. Zach raised his eyebrows at the other boy. Zach always made it pretty clear that he didn't like hearing things through the grapevine.

"Dani, whatever it is, you know damn well I didn't hear it," he stated simply, causing Daniel to roll his eyes.

"Fine. Jack Avery's coming back, for a little bit at least," he said it so plainly, that Zach almost didn't comprehend the words that had left Daniel's mouth.

He choked on the White Claw he had been nursing for the past half hour. "Come again?" he choked out. That was not the news he had been expecting or wanting at seven o'clock on a Friday night in the local dive bar.

After Daniel had whacked him on the back for a few moments, he spoke, "You're telling me that Jack Avery is gonna come back to our little backwash town?"

"Mhm. Don't you ever check his Twitter, Insta, anything? His website maybe?"

Zach gave an eye roll. "Why the hell would I have reason to? He's the one that took off, I don't exactly have a burning desire to see what he's up to," he said sarcastically.

Zach downed the remainder of his White Claw and ordered another. If Jack Avery was back in town, he was going to need a lot more of them. If not something stronger.

He knew what would happen. Jack would come in, put on his golden boy act for a little PR, maybe bring a girl for some media attention. It happened time and time again. Zach knew to stay clear of it. And he would do his best this time.

~~~~~~~

The next morning he awoke to a text from Daniel. 'the plane just landed. u ready?' Of course, leave it to Daniel Seavey to keep up with the celeb gossip. It was truly quite annoying.

Zach groaned, this visit would be disastrous. All anyone would talk about was this. Unfortunately, Zach didn't have the money to disappear now. Not everyone was a millionaire, he thought bitterly.

His bitterness continued into him picking his outfit for the day, it was a Vans tee and black joggers. He made his way into the kitchen, he had decided it wasn't even worth the bother of brushing his hair today. Zach decided to try and make breakfast. Of course, not five minutes into it, he had managed to spill the egg on the counter and burn himself with a skillet.

Over the whole idea and not in the mood, Zach just piled the dirty dishes in the sink and made his way to the gas station. It was about a ten-minute walk, for a coffee and donut. He saw Jonah, the cashier, and well what Zach supposed was an acquaintance. He had spent more time with Jonah when he and Jack had run around together.

"Welcome to- oh, it's you," Jonah said as he looked up and saw Zach.

He rolled his eyes. "It's just me huh? You're not gonna waste your charm ?" he asked, laughing. Jonah shrugged and Zach made his way over to the little plastic display and opened the door to select a donut.

He chose a chocolate glazed one with sprinkles. It was a little basic but Zach didn't really care. He went over to the coffee machine and to his dismay, there was an orange sticky note. 'Out of order' Zach rolled his eyes, this was just the kind of day it was going to be huh?

He just shook his head and went down the aisle to the refrigerated section of the place. It was just his luck when he looked and saw that the only coffee-like beverage was a java flavored Monster, it felt like it just added on to the crappiness of this day. Out of sheer desperation, he took the Monster and made his way to the counter.

"That all?" Jonah asked as he started ringing the items up. Zach nodded and Jonah read off the total, "Six fifty please." Zach dug into the pockets of his joggers. To top the whole morning off, he found that there was no wallet in his pockets.

"Well um, Jonah, I don't have any money." He said trying to keep the dramatic tone to a minimum. Jonah just looked at him.

"Well, then you can't buy anything... sorry." Zach was going to give up and just go back home when an all too familiar voice from behind him said.

"No problem Jonah it's on me." Jack's smooth voice said. It still sent a shiver up Zach's spine.

"Thanks," Zach said quietly. Grabbing his stuff and practically ran out the door. Before he could make his escape though, Jack spoke again.

"It's good to see you. I still think about you ya know."

Zach just shook his head, not giving Jack the satisfaction of a response. He slammed the door and left the other boy standing in the gas station.

After Zach had made his escape, he tossed the Java Monster and the donut. It wasn't like he wanted anything that Jack had paid for.

He decided to walk down a little bit farther to the local Publix. There was bound to be breakfast food there. He walked in, the cool air conditioning hit him.

He made his way toward the bakery section and found to his relief, rows of muffins, donuts, danish and more. Deciding that he was no longer in the mood for a donut, he grabbed a chocolate muffin.

He walked just a few aisles away and got a coffee and went to the express register. When he finally got through, there was a dark-haired cashier who greeted him.

"Hey, Zach! Did you know-" but Ava Stanford broke off.

Zach smiled, he always liked Ava and they still occasionally met up, she was a great friend.

"I know he's here. I already saw him today," he said lightly, trying to hide the fact that it actually bothered him.

Ava released a breath that Zach wasn't even aware she was holding. However, after a few moments, she tensed again. "Was she with him?" she asked quietly but aggressively.

Zach was baffled by the question and just answered, "I'm not sure who you're talking about, but no I didn't see a girl with him."

Ava nodded, "Good. Now go on before my boss gets on my case."

Zach waved and went out the automatic doors and back into the hot Tennessee humidity. A new issue in his mind, what had Ava been talking about?