PART ELEVEN.

10:32pm

Hermione dropped her bag, her shoulder remaining in an awkward slant from the soreness. Walking for hours through a forest, covered in sweat, being attacked by bugs and branches, and carrying a bag that weighed as much as twenty textbooks had taken its toll. She spread her cloak out over the grass and plopped down, her achy legs burning in protest of further movement. She wiped the sweat from her forehead before scratching at the mosquito bites on her arms, sweat packing up under her nails.

Malfoy had kept walking but he stopped now, nearly five meters away from her, his robe-bundle hitting the ground with a thud. He sent her a look that was too tired to be effective, turning his back to her as he dug in his pockets. She gave him a curious look before dragging her bag closer to her and laying back on the cloak.

It was a very odd feeling to be trying to sleep with him that close. It was strange enough to claim whatever land you fell onto as your bed for the night, but knowing Draco Malfoy was sleeping within seeing and hearing distance was unsettling. She wondered if she snored -- not that she cared if it would bother him. She really hoped she didn't pass gas or something in her sleep, though. He would no doubt take the opportunity to embarrass her with that. She could just picture waking up to Malfoy standing over her like a psycho again -- I thought you were farting, Granger. Hermione snorted out laughter at the thought, and she swore she could hear Malfoy groan and start muttering to himself.

May 21; 12:32pm

"Does this look familiar to you?" It was the first time she had said a word in two days.

"It does. Do you think we're going in circles, or is it possible that most trees look the same?" It was the first words he had spoken as well, though his bite remained the same.

She gave the trees in front of her the evil look that was meant for him, sliding sideways between two trunks. Yesterday had been a game of trying to get in front of the other one, which meant they were jogging half the day and ended up passing out hours early from not conserving their energy. Today there seemed to be a mutual acceptance that it didn't matter who was ahead as long as they didn't get too far. Hermione, who was ahead of Malfoy by a meter, still felt like she was winning.

It was starting to get to her - the silence only interrupted by the crunchcrunch, snap, crunch. She tried singing in her head, revising her speech to the Ministry, and daydreaming about meeting a hotel owner who would offer her a bed, shower, and food for free. She started to plan out her meals for when she got home, but it left her too hungry and unsatisfied.

"How far do you think the city is? Or anywhere with civilization?"

Malfoy was silent for long enough that she didn't expect him to answer. She exhaled through her nose, switching her bag to the other shoulder, and ignoring his huff of laughter when she stumbled over a rock. She tried to think of any other possible things they had in common. Heartbeats, brain matter... So, Malfoy... skin, huh?

"Why are you so interested in getting back to the city instead of looking for Floralis?" His tone sounded like practiced boredom.

She could practically feel his eyes digging into the back of her head. All right - maybe talking hadn't been a good idea. She wasn't about to tell him she was waiting for the Ministry to come storming in if they weren't already there yet.

"More supplies," she rushed. "I need supplies."

Malfoy hummed in a way that told her he saw right through her. Definitely no more talking.

May 22; 8:14am

They slept carefully separated and a few meters from the banks of a river. They had both stared at the water with distrust for a couple minutes, and it had taken longer than that before Hermione finally tried the water and nothing happened. The water had been clean, and Hermione had drank until she thought her stomach might explode. She planned on filling up her water bottle today before she left, just in case something happened to deviate her from the line of the river, but she didn't know what to do with the bad water that was inside of it. She really wanted to save a little bit and try some tests on it when she got home. She would have to put it in the tin for now and carry it so it didn't leak from the lid or open in her bag.