Gluttony

In times past, there was a little boy with big dreams to become a violinist

In times past, there was a little boy with big dreams to become a violinist. His passion was what made him stand out from the rest - everywhere he went, he brought his violin with and brought joy upon the ears of his audience. No matter where he performed or who he performed for, he would leave behind a place filled with cheery smiles and laughs. Everyone loved Nicholas; he was just as talented as much as he was charismatic; what he lacked in looks, he made up for in his ability to mesmerise entire crowds with the beautiful sound of violin - but this soon would all go to waste.

Growing up in a wealthy household, he took many things he had for granted. As great of a violinist as he was, much of his talent started fading away as he excelled in music as a child, and soon became a gifted kid burnout. Though his talent was still there, there was a period of time where he became lazy due to the constant praised he received. His ability to enthral crowds as a child prodigy soon turned into lacklustre performances, and soon enough, his audience started feeling less thrill listening to his playing - they felt bored, even. Slowly, the number of his audience dropped one by one until one day, it was just his closest friends and his family.

At the age of 21, his dream of becoming a famed violinist was still there, though dissolving little by little every day. He moved to New York to keep pursuing his dream career, but soon realised he was only one little fish in a big sea filled with talented musicians. Greed and jealousy got the best of him, and soon enough his charisma turned into bitterness and resentment towards the world. He started recklessly spending money and gained a reputation for being a big crowd pleaser that would host the most wondrous parties and feasts for his own enjoyment.

One evening, he received an unexpected message from his childhood tutor; a famous musician and conductor, who had a special offer for Nicholas. He was to perform in front of one of the largest audiences yet with one of the most famous orchestras in the world in France; it was an opportunity of a lifetime. This news was so great that Nicholas could not contain himself for joy, and he ordained a great feast. The last feast under his name. Not only did he bid it to his friends, acquaintances and family, but also people he deemed successful and people who he thought would be a good asset to his future career.

Unbeknownst to him, one of those people was the Devil himself.

On the night of the feast, everyone congratulated him and the feast was celebrated with great splendour. People brought gifts for him, some which were received with a smile on his face as they were luxurious and expensive, but some were received with just a mere thanks and a blank expression as they were cheap and did not raise up to Nicholas's standards as he was greedy and only wanted more and more. Soon enough, it was time for the last gift to be opened.

Nicholas was excited to open the gift as he saw that it was wrapped in such a way that he knew only the richest of the rich would've done so. He took off the lid of the box expecting something grand, but instead he was met with a cheap, plastic violin. His face went red with rage.

"Who the hell is this from?! I will not accept such a bland gift. Whoever gifted this to me, reveal yourselves right now!"

A tall, handsome man stepped out of the crowd with a small smile.

"That is not my gift to you." he said, "My gift to you is a duel. A violin duel between you and me. If you win this duel, you can have anything you want in the world - but if you lose this duel, you will lose everything you have, and everything that you love."

Nicholas scoffed. "And who do you think you are?"

"Who I am is no matter. Do you accept this duel?"

"Of course I do. I'm going to win, anyways. I'm the best violin player in the world!" He said, thinking that the man was bluffing about losing everything he had.

"We'll see about that."

The unnamed man took the cheap violin from the box as Nicholas got ready to perform.

Soon, the duel began as the crowd watched in anticipation. The unnamed man began first, playing a melody so sweet that it entranced everyone in the room. It seemed as if this man had hundreds of years of practice; every single note was on point and he moved so gracefully, like a bird in the sky. Nicholas looked at the man and the audience with disgust. How could someone just show up to his very own feast like that and win over the hearts of everyone? Needless to say, he was angry.

A few minutes later, it was finally his turn to play for the audience. He was so sure that everything was going to go smoothly, but he quickly found out that that was not the case. His playing was so terrible that it almost seemed as if there was supernatural force that was manipulating his playing; this was the worst performance he has ever done. Not only did it feel lacklustre, every single note was also off key and the audience started booing him off the stage. Eventually, it was over and it was quite clear who the winner was. Nicholas was justifiably embarrassed, but he did not let that defeat his own pride.

The unnamed man smiled. "I think we all know who the winner is."

Nicholas angrily looked at him. "You may have won this time, but don't let that get to your head. I am a better musician than you ever will be, don't forget that!"

The man looked at him, unfazed by his words, still with the same smile on his face. "As your punishment, you will soon lose everything you have ever had. You will become a glutton, and a nuisance to the world. Don't you forget that." And with that, the man walked out. Nicholas scoffed, brushing off the man's words and continued on with the feast. Nothing has happened yet, so the man must've been lying about losing everything.

After that day, everything went downhill. Nicholas went to France and practiced the performance with the famous orchestra day after day, but his playing did not ever become better than his playing on the day of the duel. Nicholas has no idea why this was happening, but he did not pay too much mind to it, as he thought practicing his piece would make him just as good as everyone else in the orchestra.

It was soon time for the big performance, and he was still not doing any better. Everyone in the orchestra had become annoyed at him, as they all thought he was a talented musician, not some kind of phoney that only climbed up the ranks due to his money and connections, but they could not say a thing as he was invited by their conductor, who had the most authority over them all.

The big day was finally here, and to no one's surprise, Nicholas did terribly. So bad that he singlehandedly ruined the reputation of not only himself, but also the reputation of the entire orchestra. The conductor told Nicholas that he never wanted to see his face again, and with that, Nicholas had tarnished his chance to become the famed violinist he always aspired to be. He went back to America defeated, and started spending all his money on trying to keep himself happy.

This was his fate. To become a glutton eating his life away, with no chance of ever redeeming himself to the world. In some ways, it is quite tragic, but some might say that he had it coming.

The end 🤗🤗🤗🤗