Chapter 6

Layla and Chase drove around Charlotte for almost an hour before finally deciding on a place to eat. As Chase pulled his truck into a parking spot, Layla felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. Pulling it out, she saw a group text message from Dale and Martin.

Dale Jr: home race comin up in two weeks. who's throwin the party?

Martin Truex: can do it at my house...had fun last nite w/ everyone

Layla James: come on guys, we all know dale throws better parties than truex.. ;) idc just let me know when and where I need to be.

Putting her phone back in her pocket, she hopped out of Chase's truck and walked into Zaxby's with him. They ordered their food and with much protest from Layla, Chase paid and sat down to eat. “So, what time do you head out tomorrow?” she asked, playing with her fries.

“Pretty much first thing in the morning. Got a show tomorrow night in Columbia,” he said, looking up at her. He hadn't even known her for twenty four hours yet, let alone left her and Charlotte yet and he wanted to see her again.

“I'm sure you'll rock that place out like you did last night,” she said, going back to playing with her fries.

As they finished up their lunch, Chase tried to think of what they could spend the day doing. The guys had texted him earlier while she was in the shower. They all had plans so he could spend the whole day with her and not feel guilty. “Come on,” he said, suddenly making her jump. Standing up, he grabbed both of their trash, tossed it in the trash can nearby and they both headed out to his truck.

“Where are we going?” she asked once they got back into his truck. Flashing that smile she loved so much, he winked at her and kept driving. A couple minutes later, Chase pulled into Concord Mills mall and Layla wrinkled her nose at him. “You want to go shopping?”

“I need a new hat. And maybe I have something else in the works,” he said slyly as he found a parking spot. Chase hurried around his truck to open the door for her.

“Aww, such a gentleman,” she said making him laugh as she got out. He grabbed her hand and they walked toward the mall entrance. Once they got inside, Chase led them straight to Lids. Layla watched him carefully look at the selection of hats. She couldn't help but laugh at him as he tried on hat after hat. Pulling out her phone, she quickly snapped a picture of him admiring himself in the mirror and sent it to Monica.

Layla James: I don't think I'm the female in this relationship any more...

Monica Hamilton: I'm going to ignore the fact that you said relationship and just laugh at this picture. Hahaha

Layla found herself blushing at the thought of calling whatever her and Chase had going on a relationship. It definitely wasn't that, was it? After another ten minutes of trying on hats, Chase finally settled on three and they made their way back out into the mall.

“Alright. Got two options, we can either go see a movie or we can go in there and do some shopping,” Chase said, pointing to the store across from Lids, smiling ear to ear.

Layla looked across the mall and raised her eyebrows. The man wants to go into Victoria's Secret. Why does this NOT surprise me? “I think I'll take my chances with the movie offer,” she said, taking his hand and laughing at how quickly his smile disappeared. He sighed, which made her laugh even more, and led them to the theater. After Chase bought their tickets and snacks, they made their way into the empty theater. They headed to the very back and grabbed seats. “You don't have to keep paying for everything,” she said, once they settled in.

“I know, but you see, my momma raised me right. When you go on a date, the guy should pay for it,” he said, holding out the popcorn toward her.

Taking some, she looked back up to him. “So this is a date, huh? I'm not sure I agreed to go on a date with you, Mr. Rice.”

“Baby, you did that when I had you pinned down on your bed this morning,” he whispered into her ear and kissed her cheek as the lights dimmed and the previews started.

Chase pulled up in Layla's driveway to drop her off. They had spent the day just hanging out getting to know each other and having a fun. He wasn't ready to let her go, but he had a couple things to do before they left in the morning. He shut the truck off and looked over at her. “I had fun today,” he said, taking her hand.

She smiled. “Me too. We'll have to get together whenever you're back in town or close to here,” she said, looking down at her hand in his.

“Most definitely. You got my number, I got yours so we better be talking,” he said, making her laugh.

“Oh, bet your sweet ass we will be talking, Mr. Rice.” She looked up at him and saw that killer smile back on his face. “I really hate to do it, but I better get inside.” She took off her seatbelt and leaned over to give him a quick kiss. “Be careful headed back to your hotel,” she said, still inches away from his face.

“I wish I had longer to stay,” he said, playing with her hair dangling close to her eyes.

“Me too, babe.” She leaned in and kissed him again, this time lingering into it before pulling away and opened the truck door. “Text me when you back to the hotel. Have a good night, Chase.” She started to get out but quickly turned back to give him one more kiss before heading up to the house. Layla pulled out her keys and unlocked the door. Turning back to look at Chase one more time, she waved and walked inside.