Some devastating news

I can feel the tension in the air. It is the last race of the season. It has been a whirlwind season for me. The thing is I need to win this race to tie the record with my father. The thought is making me a little more stressed than normal. I have decided to listen to my pre-race playlist to calm my thoughts down. The good thing is I have chosen some quite upbeat songs to concentrate on. After four songs have played I am interrupted by my teammate Lewis Hamilton. I pause my music and remove my headphones.

"Liesel, the pre-race briefing is on in five minutes," Lewis remarks. It will probably be a pep talk from Toto Wolff. At least Lewis is trying to be helpful. In fact, I am glad that he reminded me since I had forgotten. I follow Lewis to the makeshift meeting room where Toto is standing. I am impressed by the nature of the energy going through the garage.

"Ok everyone is here. Let's get started," Toto remarks. He gets to work on making sure that everyone knows their job. I try my best to concentrate but Toto is telling everyone things that they already know. It doesn't take long for the briefing to come to an end.

"Any questions?" Toto asks just in case there is. I glance at Lewis just to make sure because I know I haven't got any questions.

"No," Lewis responds for the group.

"Ok then. Good luck Liesel, Lewis," Toto dismisses everyone. It doesn't take long for me to make it to the garage where I am met by my lead mechanic. He seems a little too cheerful. I put it down to the fact that he is one of three people that have helped me become the driver I am today. I don't know why I am thinking like I am going to retire. I know I have a few seasons left in me.

"Thank you for your hard work this season, James," I remarked as I got to work on getting my protective gear over my head. It doesn't take me long to finish getting ready since I have done the stuff that takes the most time already.

"Hey, I am happy to help. Good luck as well Liesel," James responds. As he helps me with getting comfortable in the car. I soon aligned the car with the pole position. As I wait for the lights to go out I find myself gripping the steering wheel. I put it down to the fact that I am tense. I mean I am close to beating Lewis. I just need to maintain my lead. The count down soon comes to an end and I manage to get away cleanly. It's going to be a close one but I know it will be fun for a race in Abu Dhabi. It only takes one lap for me to find myself in a battle with Max Verstappen. I will give the kid some credit because he knows what he is doing.

"Liesel, I'd watch your slipstream," my lead engineer warns me via the radio.

"Roger, I'll be careful," I responded. I wish that he would tell me something that I didn't know. The thing is I can't get mad at him for giving me useless information because he is only doing his job. After a defensive maneuver, I made it to turn two with some distance between Max and I. The thing is now I have to catch Lewis. After thirty minutes of racing, I have managed to close the gap. Now I reckon I can make it past him without team orders. I hope it won't be needed. I use Lewis' bout of understeer to slip past him on the inside. I'd watch the inside if I were you, Lewis. After an hour of racing the only person to have kept up with me is Max. That means that Lewis has had some issues.

"Liesel we are letting you know that Lewis has had to retire due to a collision with Seb," My engineer confirms my suspicion. I quickly spot the chequered flag as I head down the start/finish straight. I am in first place which means I have equalled my father's record. I can feel an overwhelming surge of emotions.

"Liesel we have done it. You have equalled Michael's record," The voice on the end of the radio catches me by surprise.

"No Toto you did. Thank you for seeing my potential," I let my emotions run free. I bring the car to a stop in the Parc-Ferme area. At least there is a weight off my shoulders now. After what feels like a long podium ceremony I have made it back to the garage where I am met by a thunderous round of applause and a series of congratulations. I am intercepted by Lewis.