We could all do with some help

It has been a week since the accident and I am struggling to come to terms with the severity of my father's condition. To make things worse not much has changed as we had all hoped. No one has been hit harder than Mick. I am officially struggling to keep my family together even with the help from Lewis. Something tells me that I need to speak with someone outside of my family and Mercedes. I am currently wrestling with my dilemma because I don't want to face the facts. I am not ready. What if he never recovers? Should I retire now or after I break my father's record? All of these thoughts swirl around my head as I watch over my father.

"Liesel you should talk to someone," Mick breaks me out of my thoughts.

"I know Mick but it's not a good time right now," I retort. He is right but I am busy looking after everyone else which is not giving me much time to care for myself. I need to hurry up and find the balance. Lewis soon arrives. He is holding a paper bag which can only mean one thing.

"I got some food from Giuseppe's," Lewis says as I take the bag. At least Lewis knows how to make me feel better even though the feeling is temporary. I offer some food to Mick because as per usual there is a lot of food and I am not that hungry. I soon notice that Mick has something that he wants to say.

"Liesel, can I talk to Lewis alone?" Mick asks as if reading my mind. I don't see why not. He will probably want to ask Lewis if he can convince me to get some outside help. I need a walk anyway. I leave so they can have some time alone. I start to wonder about the legacy my father and I would have on the sport. I know for a fact that I wasn't the only one to take inspiration from my father. In fact, he mentored the only person that has beaten me. I still think he was out to get me but Sebastian Vettel beat me fair and square. He was what Mika Häkkinen was to my father. I am snapped back to reality as I accidentally walk into someone.

"I'm so sorry Miss Schumacher," The doctor remarks. I can tell that he is flustered. I am guessing that it is because he walked into someone famous. The good thing is he was able to catch me before any damage was done.

"Don't worry about it. Please can you drop the formalities as well," I don't know why but I always feel a little uncomfortable when people address me in a formal way. Oh well, I guess I might have to get used to it. After a quick conversation with the doctor, I have decided that Mick has had enough time with Lewis. I head back to my father's room but I stop short. I hate the idea of eavesdropping but I want to know what Lewis and Mick are discussing.

"Mick you know I can't convince Liesel to do something that she isn't willing to do," Lewis responds to whatever Mick said before.

"I know but she has been hit the hardest and I am concerned about her," Mick is pleading with Lewis to help him. It breaks my heart hearing Mick beg for help. I am stunned by what I am hearing. If he would have told me this sooner maybe I would have taken time out to talk to someone. At least Lewis can try to help him. I feel like I have failed as a sister but there is not much that I can do.

"Mick we could all do with some help. Plus there is no harm in letting your emotions go," I make my presence known. I have decided that I am going to reach out to Toto again to see what he has to say. First I have to console my brother. I pull him into a hug as he finally gives in to his emotions.

"Sorry Liesel," Mick apologises between sobs.

"Mick, it's ok to be vulnerable. In fact, I promise that I am going to get help tomorrow," I let him know. I can feel the tears trying to work their way up. I hate this situation but something tells me that I will be a better person for it. At least I have a plan. Part of that plan is to show the world that I can beat my father's record. It is the day after and I am making an important phone call. I am doing it under the watchful gaze of Lewis. He is making sure that I follow through on my promise to Mick. I dial Toto's number.

"How are you doing, Liesel?" He answers.

"I've been better but I need to ask you a favour," I soon explained the situation. It's kind of funny that he knows how I feel. I am hoping that he can point me in the right direction.

"I'll see what I can do for you. I'll call you back when I have something for you," Toto responds. He is quick to hang up. Not that I mind. He has a lot on his plate. I soon notice that Lewis has something on his mind.

"Liesel, you remember how you asked if we were more than teammates?" Lewis asks. This is it I will be getting the answer that I want.

"Yeah?" I timidly ask. I am hoping that it is the answer I have been looking for.

"I thought about it and you are right we are more than teammates," Lewis confirms my thoughts. I can feel the smile creep up on my face. I am glad that I have found something good out of this mess. I am overjoyed at the fact that I got the confession that I have wanted. The joy doesn't last long. My phone rings. I see the caller ID. It is Toto. That was quick. I reach out for Lewis' hand with my spare hand as I answer.

"Hey, Toto. What's the news?" I timidly ask. I get the feeling that it will be bad news. I am comforted by the fact that Lewis is holding my hand.

"I've contacted the trauma counsellor at the hospital that your father is staying at and he is going to see you in an hour," Toto says. I can feel the relief wash over me. I now have some good news to tell Mick.

"Thank you for your help," I responded to the good news.

"I'm happy to help after all you are one of my champions," He is right. I was only given the chance to win with a team like Mercedes because he saw my potential. I am stung by the feeling of guilt since I haven't told him about my plan to retire. After a quick conversation, Toto hangs up. For some reason, I ask if Lewis will join me.

"Well Toto sent me here to support you so that is what I am going to do," Lewis replies. I can hear the resolve in his voice. It doesn't take long for me to reach my father's hospital room. I have decided to visit my father so I can kill some time. I am greeted by Gina and Mick. Something seems different about Mick. He seems cheerful. Before he tells me what is making him happy I let him know that I will be seeing someone in regards to the crap that has been going on.

"That's good. I have some good news myself. I've made it into the German Formula 4 championship," Mick announces. I can hear the pride in his voice. Finally, it is the news I have been waiting for. The opportunity was in limbo for a while but now I can be happy that my brother has gotten into single-seaters. 

"Congratulations," I responded. After forty-five minutes of catching up with Mick and Gina, I head to the counsellor's office where I am met by Lewis. He looks a little concerned but that is because he is not sure how I am going to behave. I am struck by a wave of embarrassment because I have spotted the person I will be talking to. Of course, it had to be the doctor that I bumped into. Well here goes nothing. I take a seat. I can feel the tension in the air. I make a few comments to Lewis before the session starts. It doesn't take long for an argument to break out between the doctor and I.

"I'm not sure if you understand but not only did I lose my father, I lost my biggest mentor," I vent my frustrations.

"Liesel, does the machine give any indication that your father is dead?" He asks. The thing is he is right. There is no indication that my father is dead. I can feel the frustration in the air. I just can't face the fact of my situation.

"No," I am just about ready to storm out. I am only stopped by Lewis reaching for my hand. It was definitely a good thing that he came. At least I am learning to get my emotions out. After an hour of tremendous pain, Lewis has taken me back home. I try my best to clear the rest of my tears away but there are more coming. Lewis stops my attempt. What he does next catches me by surprise. He gently wipes away the tears.

"Sorry Lewis but Mick was right I do need help," I manage to get out before the sobbing takes hold. I really didn't know how bad it was until I put it into words. I bury myself in the comfort of Lewis' embrace. I am lucky to have someone like him. It's just the circumstances that I despise.