CHAPTER 25 - ROGER

"I've just received a message from Unified Command; they are desperate to know if you've made any progress."

Roger glanced up from his desk but then looked away from the general before answering. "Yes, I've actually made some progress. These symbols here are definitely referring to movement, and now I'm fairly certain that this grouping here is referring to ships of some kind. They appear in patterns that align with these charts you provided. If you can provide more like this, I should make faster progress."

"That is excellent news. Command will be pleased." The general wrote a note and handed it to his assistant. The assistant pocketed it without looking at it.

"I was hoping you could tell me something of how we're fairing out there. I can still hear the shelling, of course, so I assume there's been no major change of fortunes."

"Oh yes, still a wretched sight out there. Be happy you're safe in this bunker. Still, if you can break this code, it might put a quick end to the whole thing. Then, Bob's your uncle, and you're back to doing your archaeology."

"Anthropology, actually."

"Just so, just so. Well, I'll send a wire off to the home front informing them of your progress and leave you to get back to it."

"If you don't mind, General, perhaps I could pop up to the surface for a bit and get some air. It sounds like the shelling has eased off."

"No, no, can't allow that. You're too important to the war effort. Can't take the chance a sniper might get you in his sights, and where would we be then? I know it's difficult, but we've all got our duty to fulfill."

"Yes, of course." Roger returned to his work as the general and his assistant left. The sound of shelling increased in volume and frequency. A close hit caused dust to rain down onto his papers.

"I thought they'd never leave."

Roger nearly leapt from his chair at the unexpected voice. "What the blazes? Who are you? How did you get in here?"

The curiously dressed woman pulled up a chair and sat down across from Roger. "Explaining that would take some time, and I don't have that much. I've looped their surveillance feed, but that won't fool them for long. I need to know your name and why you're here."

"I am Corporal Roger Pritchard in his Majesty's first expeditionary force, and my reasons for being here are none of your concern."

"Sorry, that's not good enough. I think I can bust you out of this place, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into."

"Bust me out? Good heavens why? I'm vital to the war effort."

"War? What war?" She seemed genuinely confused.

"What war? Are you daft? The war. I know you Americans think it doesn't concern you, but you can't be completely ignorant."

"Hey, we've had Briton's back when it counted, and how can you be so sure I'm American?"

"What else could you be with that atrocious manner of speaking?"

"Canadian?" she suggested.

Roger raised an eyebrow to convey how unlikely that was.

"Where I'm from doesn't matter. We were talking about rescuing you."

"Madam, I can assure you I am perfectly fine and do not require your assistance. You, on the other hand, must have wandered away from an asylum of some sort. If your outrageous attire wasn't clue enough, your behavior makes it clear."

"Outrageous attire?" She looked offended. "I'll have you know this is a captain's uniform."

"It looks like pajamas."

"For that, I should leave you here and let the aliens give you a virtual lobotomy."

"Like I was saying... escaped from an asylum. You are babbling nonsense."

"I don't have time for this. We can argue on my ship. I'll be right back." She blinked out of existence.

Roger fell from his chair. He pulled himself up, turned around twice, looked under his desk, then dropped back into his chair. "Good heavens, I've cracked. All this work has driven me round the bend."

He sat there, listening to the distant sound of artillery. He had almost convinced himself that the entire thing had been a hallucination when she popped back into existence.

"OK, change of plans. I don't think my cognitive framework can support both of us, so we're going to steal a new ship."

"This is madness," Roger declared.

"Hey, I didn't choose to become a space pirate. Circumstances have driven me to it. Hang on, things could get bumpy." She flickered out of existence, then snapped back a moment later. She was joined seconds after that by the General and his assistant. They snapped into existence in the same manner as her.

"This intrusion is highly unusual," the General declared.

The intruder turned to them. "Well, if intrusions were normal, you would probably just call them visits."

The General's assistant spoke. "You are endangering vital research. Discontinue your interference at once. Cooperate, and we can assure you will not be harmed."

"Yeah... right. You've led me down that path once already. I'm not falling for it twice. Hang on, Roger, this is where we jump ship."

She waved her hand, and the room shimmered around them. Suddenly they were in a much larger chamber, one with numerous lights hanging in the air above them. Next to them was a glowing, round table.

"It worked!" the woman exclaimed, then began tapping furiously at the table. "I wasn't sure the command console would actually transfer. We would have been royally screwed if it hadn't." She turned and began walking toward a door on one end of the chamber. "Come on then, I'll make us some tea." She stopped at the door and looked back to make sure he was coming.

"Did you say tea?" He suddenly realized he desperately wanted a cup.

"Yes. That's assuming my apartment actually made it across." She took a deep breath, then opened the door. An orange cat came running in. She let her breath out with a gasp, then charged into the room beyond. "And where is Zoe? On the sofa, right where I left her. Some days I'm not sure if she's a cat or a throw pillow."

Roger entered into what appeared to be a modestly appointed flat. "This is all very bewildering."

"You think this is something? Wait until you see what I keep in my closet."