Chapter 1

Note: This story came from a writing prompt in a book I have, so I thought, why not share it?

On the morning of her sixteenth birthday, Claudia decided to stop smiling so much. She wanted people to take her more seriously.

If she felt the urge to smile, she would do her best to get noticed more, and not her friends in the BSC.

When Claudia was together with her friends at her house, Stacey was the first to notice.

"Are you okay, Claudia? You haven't been yourself lately. Your birthday is here, and you don't look happy. Is there anything you'd like to do?"

"Nothing really. What have you noticed?"

"I've noticed you're not smiling very much anymore. That's not like you."

The other girls agreed. They were actually going to spend the night since it was Claudia's birthday. It's still morning, so after the meeting tonight, they would go home and then bring their things over.

"Claudia, it's not like you not to smile. You've always been happy."

"I'll tell you why, Stacey. I sometimes think people should take me more seriously."

"Of course people take you seriously. I was reading one time that God up in Heaven takes everybody seriously, no matter who we are," Dawn said.

"Since when are you a religious person, Dawn? You know we don't attend church," Mary Anne reminded her.

"I know, but I'm not sure where I heard that from."

"Probably your imagination."

"No, it's not, Kristy. It's a true fact."

"Why would you change your mind about God, Dawn? This is the first time we ever talked about God who is in Heaven, taking us very seriously."

"I know. I somehow changed a bit."

"Sounds like it," Jessi agreed.

"Happy birthday, Claudia. And be happy since it's your birthday," Mary Anne said.

"I'll try. I only will do it unless more people take me more seriously. Then I will be happy."

While having that conversation, Claudia thought she heard a voice in her head, "Say yes, Claudia. I do take you seriously. I care and love you."

And she continued to listen.

"Claudia, a lot of people think like this a lot. I tell them there are ways for people to take them seriously. Please let Me be part of your life and I will be happy to make that happen. I hope you'll take me more seriously."

"Thank you."

Later that morning, Claudia was downstairs working on an art project when her parents came in. Her smile was still missing.

"Claudia, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Mom. It's a nice day."

"You're not smiling. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes. The girls noticed it too. I was telling them I'd like it if people would take me more seriously."

"In what way?"

"I don't know, Dad. Something changed. I'm trying to figure it out."

"What did happen?"

"I don't know how to answer that. Dawn said something about God."

"That is quite a change. What did she say?" he asked.

After lunch was over, Claudia headed back to her room and could try to see if God would return.

Maybe Dawn had a good point there, Claudia told herself.

There was absolutely no way would she share with her parents.

If Claudia did share with her parents, she wasn't sure how they would react to the idea about her beginning a relationship that hadn't happened before.

If Claudia plans to change more, she wasn't so sure if she would give up junk food and Nancy Drew. That could be the beginning of a new change.

She wondered how long this change would last.

She had heard of the Bible, but doesn't plan to try reading that type of book. As far as she remembered, not one of her friends had said anything about God and His Word.

Maybe Dawn and the other girls could do the same as herself.

Would her friends agree to this idea or stay where they are now?

If Claudia chose to going to church, her parents could see for themselves about her change in God, they could try taking her more seriously like she hoped.

The question is this: If people noticed change in her, would they take her more seriously?

That she would have to find out for herself.