|1|

Author POV

It's been 11 long years since the arrest of her mom, that day Ji-woo swore to become a lawyer to prove her mom innocent.
With her determination, she completed high school while taking college courses side by side.
She had to do multiple part-time jobs to pay the fees but she didn't give up, cause at the end of the day she knew she was getting closer to free her mom.

But fate had its own plan.

~~~

Ji-woo now standing in front of the familiar tombstone she visits every year bends down and places the precious flowers in their rightful place

"How are you mom?" she asked with tears glistening in her  eyes

-Flashback-

Ji-woo was filled with excitement as today was the yearly conjugal meet-up with her mom. She wanted to tell her so many things and make her proud. She got off the bus and went straight towards the meeting cell. 

As she strode forward, she noticed something was wrong as people were surrounding an ambulance.

"What's wrong?" She asked a nearby passenger.

"Kang Hyun-Jae has committed suicide, it's sad but what could she do." The man pitied. 

"N-no." the girl stuttered, "That's not possible! Mom is alive she's not dead." The girl kept repeating.

When she saw the body, her horrid suspicions became true, she fell to the ground sobbing to herself, the world slipped right beneath her feet and soon her vision tunneled leaving her into the dark.

~~~

Waking up to find sunlight dripping her face, Ji-woo groaned in pain as she tried to move. It was all a dream she thought to herself, but as reality started taking over the girl realized she was not in her room.

"Good morning Ms. Kang." An unfamiliar voice spoke

"W-Who are you?" she asked him as she noticed her surroundings, making out she was in a patient ward.

"Don't worry Ms. Kang, I'm your mother's lawyer." The middle-aged man stated

"Where is my mom?"

"Seeing your condition, you must be aware of the events that have taken place."

"What do you mean? It was all a dream, it had to be. Tell me mom is still in that cell waiting for me." 

"I hate to break it to you but whatever happened yesterday is not a dream." He continued as tears started forming her eyes.

"I'm still dreaming. I just need to wake up from this nightmare." she said, sobbing, she pinched herself, again and again, not believing the truth, "Why isn't this working."

Noticing the speechless man she looked up at him, "Tell me it's all a lie."

"I understand your pain but you need to believe the truth, we found this note with her." He said as he took out the neatly folded piece of paper.

Handing the paper to her, he said, emotionless, "As her lawyer, I was allowed to pass this note to you,"

Opening the piece of paper, her eyes widened as she saw the letter in front of her

Dear Ji-woo,

By the time you're reading this, I will be already gone but remember munchkin, I will always be by your side, wherever you go.

You must be wondering why I did this, I couldn't keep fighting, I lost all my hope but remember, this is not your fault. I'm really proud of you, munchkin. Proud of how you handled your studies, of how you've become so mature and lived all by yourself, of how you've come so far.

But before I go I need you to know the truth about what happened that night. The night that changed our lives.

That night when I visited your aunt, I found her lifeless on the ground and that bastard, Choi Jin-Hyuk was holding the knife he used to murder your aunt. He murdered your aunt like a demon for her assets and money and to get away with it he called the police and acted like I was the one to do it.

The part that broke me was that even the law believed him. He shamelessly bought the witnesses. They say money can do anything and everything and I'm starting to believe it.

You must have so many questions in your mind right now but remember don't blame yourself for this. I still remember the little you asking me why I met your aunt, I guess if I had stayed with you that night this would've never happened.

I won't say goodbye cause I'll always be with you and watch you from the stars above.

love you, my precious daughter,

mom

Ji-woo's POV

I closed the letter as tears escaped my eyes. I sob as the moments of the past flooded my mind. If only I had stopped her that day this would all be just a fantasy. Maybe I should die, it would be better than living in this cruel unfair world, cause without mom, my life is pointless.

But I won't, I swear I will prove mom innocent and make my uncle suffer for what he did to her.

"I promise you mom, I'll study hard and prove you innocent. I'll give you justice, even if I have to go through hell and back."

~~~