The Genesis: Fire Hazard

Nella Jones, Ciara Art's guardian had recently enrolled Ciara to Metro High and gotten her an apartment somewhere on South Craig street.

As Ciara relaxed on a brightly colored cabriole chair she watched a ray of moonlight seeped through a small opening in the gray curtain. Dust particles flew here and there, swirling around. She was going to have to clean the house but that would be reserved for tomorrow. She wondered why she had been left to live alone.

Earlier that previous night, she had heard the doorbell ring. When Nella opened the door she found a mysterious man on her doorstep. He was clothed in all black and atop his head was a black fedora. He looked up to where Ciara was seating on the staircase which made his glassy pitch black eyes lock with Ciara's sweet violet eyes. It was devoid of any emotion like a pool of cold black tar. There was something familiar about the man. Something that made her feel at peace even when he had a murderous look on his face. She got up and tip-toed back to her room. Before her bunny novelty slippers touched the last step, she heard her name. Normally she wouldn't even dare to listen to adult's conversation but when she heard her name she turned around. Curiosity nibbled on her toes like a nasty frostbite. She moved closer to the step where she could hear them but not be seen. Nella let down the lavender square patterned curtains. Ciara had always thought the curtains gave the living room a childish image. At the other side was the man. Ciara could see him closing the windows so they were out of earshot when they talked, just in case whispered. They finally sat down and Ciara's view of the man was clearer than before. She could see his black jeans sticking out from an olive-green club chair he sat on. Nella moved towards the kitchen leaning on the wall.

"Are you hungry?" She turned to him.

"Driving all the way from my house to yours takes exactly one point one seven eight kilometers." The man replied to Aunt Nella's question.

"Um, I guess that's a yes?" Nella asked unsure.

She entered the kitchen and came out almost immediately. In the tray she was holding was a plate of coconut cream pie. A thick and creamy coconut filling, crispy flaky pie crust, mounds of sweet whipped cream, and toasted coconut on top was all Nella's pie needed to make your mouth water. Simple yet exquisite. She dropped the pie on the square table beside his chair clearing her throat as she sat back on her chair.

"I'm planning to send her to that house, I already paid and some of my friends live around there." Nella spat.

"Why? She's only thirteen." The man said in a concerned tone.

"Look over there." Nella pointed at a charred charroff chair in a corner.
"Can you believe that I bought that chair for over fourteen thousand dollars." She started. "I don't know how she does it but I do know she's responsible for that and every other charred item in this house. I cannot afford to spend money to replace any item she has destroyed." She continued raging with anger. She paused taking few deep breaths to calm down. "That's why I'm sending her off. Ever since she entered this house..." She paused again looking around like someone was watching them then continued this time reducing her voice. "...strange things have been happening."

"Strange things?" The man chuckled nervously.

Ciara smiled and repeated the words.

"Strange things."

She sunk into the couch as nostalgic memories flooded her mind. The only strange memories she remembered were all about fire. For some reason that house was a fire hazard. She walked into the balcony. To the right were two flower pots with pansies and violas inside and the left was a wooden stool padded with leather and foam. She sat on the stool and adjusted it facing a black Honda Pilot SUV. A woman came out of the car. She was holding a phone in her ear. With the chilly wind blowing everywhere it was hard to prevent her long silky straight golden-brown hair from flying behind her, dancing alongside with the loose ends of the bright yellow scarf on her neck. A key that fell on the floor caught Ciara's attention. The woman dropped the light brown merchandise paper bags she was carrying on the car so she could pick it up. Then the woman entered her apartment. After that she decided to go in and take a shower. She put on a striped beige colored pajama and flopped down into the cyan cabriole chair infront of the television. On the white coffee table was where a remote stood in a black remote holder. She clicked a button making the television turn on.

"Welcome viewers to Pittsburgh news." A female news reporter started as she brushed loose pieces of her long platinum brown wavy hair away from her eyes.

She brushed loose pieces of her long platinum brown hair away from her eyes. Her olive skin glimmered in the light. The lime eyeshadow and glossy lipstick matched her brightly colored lemon-green cut out shoulder shirt.

"I'm Nickola Nigel your..." The young lady continued until Ciara turned the television off.

She got up on her way to her room.
It was one of the most spacious room in the apartment. Decorated with cream colored walls and orange curtains. She flopped down on the bed and used a blanket snuggling with a white bolster. There was a shiny attractive writing on it that said 'Ciara'. In front of the bed was an orange bedroom bench. Next to the door stood a brown desk and a laptop. Near the bed was a bedside table. Opposite the bedside table was a closet, in front of the closet was a clothes valet and a dressing table. She looked outside the bay window beside her bed. Nights were always hard for her. She spent her insomnia thinking about her real parents. Even when she eventually fell asleep she would often dream of two silhouettes singing to her. Though, she would always wake up forgetting the song. At least it was better before when she had Nella to talk to over her not-so-famous hot chocolate on cold nights with bubbly conversations here and there. The dancing of the neighborhood willow tree giving shade to the bench during warm sunny days. But now no one to talk to. She even missed Alyssa, Nella's bratty daughter and her friends. Fear filled her mind with different thoughts. Was Nella trying to get rid of her? Could her parents have gotten rid of her and Nella found her? She closed her eyes trying to shake of the thoughts but as she opened her eyes she saw,

"Fire." She shouted confused as the fire rose higher.

Her heart race wildly, pounding loudly in her chest.