Chapter 1: Mornings

Rosetta's perspective:

The delicate light of the morning sun crept past my shades and onto my face. My dollhouse, courtesy of Aunt Leonora, glimmered and shined. The cold stone floor turned warm, and my blankets became visible. My ears twitched with agitation. Normally, I love mornings. I go on walks with my mom,dad, and brother. But, today is different. Today is a queen training day. Followed by a magic training day.

Merida, our new maid, who is not much older than me, knocked on the door quietly.
"Princess? Are you awake?" Her voice is delicate and soft, a contrast to my loud and raspy voice.
"Unfortunately," I call.  She opens the door with a gown in her hand.  As much as I love our kingdom, I like red and yellow more than blue and yellow.
"Why would I need a traditional gown?" Merida cocks her head to the side,
"Didn't you hear? Your grandfather is coming over soon."  Grandfather? Grandfather Kendrick? How fun! He gives me gifts and he plays with me! He  brings wooden swords he made himself and he has fake fights with Arthur and I. Grandfather usually stays with Aunt Leonora and our Cousins Ackerly and Marcella.

Realization hits me in the head,
"Ugh! Do I need to put it on now? I can't do training with this retched thing on!" Merida places the wonderfully stitched gown on my bed.
"You must, it's the rules." Her sweet face turns a little stern. "Now princess, let's get you in the dress already, shall we?"