Chapter 12

Percy didn't know how long he just sat there staring at the waves. The only thing that pulled him out of his thoughts was the sun setting. The light blinded him for a moment, and he shaded his eyes.

He stood, getting ready to go back to his cabin, when he noticed a couple farther down the beach walking. He smiled wistfully. He and Annabeth used to do that every sunset, talking about their day and laughing about the stupid stuff that happened.

The sun brightened for a moment, and made the unidentified girl's blonde hair turn gold for a second. It also lit up the girl's face.

Annabeth.

He felt a pang in his chest when he realized that Annabeth was walking down THEIR beach with a guy that WASN'T him. He didn't jump to conclusions, however.

Until the boy reached out his hand and grabbed Annabeth's. And she allowed it.

She smiled up at the boy and returned her concentration to in front of her, and noticed Percy standing there.

Her smile was gone, and all she could do was stutter, trying to explain what was happening.

And finally, the boy's shaded face came into view. Jason Grace.

Jason sneered at Percy when Annabeth wasn't looking.

Annabeth tried to speak, "Percy, it-it's not what you think. I promise. We were just taking a walk, I swear. I-I… We're just friends!"

Percy shook his head disappointedly. He was at least hoping she would tell him the truth. "Annabeth, we all know that that isn't true." He sighed. "I hope you're happy, Annabeth. That's all that I ever wanted for you. And if you're happy with someone that isn't me, that's okay. As long as you're happy."

A tear ran down her cheek as she tried to step toward him. He stepped farther back, almost in synchronization with Annabeth. Percy whispered, "I don't think that that's the wisest thing to do right now. And I think Athena would agree."

More tears fell down Annabeth's cheeks. "Seaweed Brain, please don't leave me."

Tears sprang to Percy's eyes then. "Annabeth, you've already made the decision for me."

She then sobbed. They were heartbreaking sobs that had Percy aching to comfort her. But she was the one who was secretly dating someone else, not him. So he allowed one tear to fall, turned around, and walked away. He whispered brokenly, "Goodbye Annabeth. I hope you're happy."

Slowly, he walked away from the beach. He heard Jason trying to comfort Annabeth, trying to get her to stop crying. Finally, he made his way in front of his cabin. But he wouldn't enter. He had too many memories of him and Annabeth in there. Memories of lazy days when they would hang around, just them, for hours and never get bored. Of the times when she would kiss him for being stupid or making her laugh.

He turned around, walking wherever the path would take him. He ended up in front of the Aphrodite cabin. He took a deep breath of clean air and made his way toward the perfume-scented cabin and knocked on the door. One of Piper's brothers opened the door.

"Percy? Do you need anything?" asked one of her brothers.

Percy cleared his throat. "Can I see Piper please? I need to speak with her."