Chapter 10

As it turned out, Léa and I became fast friends. Each day, after my composition lessons were over, I went straight to the fencing hall, if only to see her. At the Order of the Nightingale meetings, I walked there with Moreau by my side, but things were still tense between us, so we hardly talked. As soon as we got there, he left to sulk in the corner, while I went to find Léa, who almost always ended up next to the snack table somehow. I hated how miserable Moreau seemed to be, but at the same time, I couldn't give up Léa for him. Whenever we were together, magic happened.

There was another piece of good news though. One morning, just before work, I got a letter from Gertie saying that she was coming to visit. It wouldn't be for another two weeks, but at least I would get a chance to see her again. It felt like it had been forever since I'd last seen my older sister, and I missed her greatly.

I was still re-reading the letter, delighted by the thought of Gertie's visit, when I arrived at Sylvestre's house that morning. I knocked on the door, and when Sylvestre answered, he immediately said, "Miss Brackenborough, I have an extra assignment for you today, if you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all," I said.

"Jean-Luc has a concert at five today at the Palais Garnier, and I'd like you to take him."

"Of course, Mr. Sylvestre. I'd be happy to do that."

In truth, I didn't want to spend my evening babysitting Jean-Luc, and I was fairly certain that he didn't want me there either. Nevertheless, this was my job, and besides, it would be nice to hear Jean-Luc play. Hearing a soloist of his caliber was a rare experience, and I knew that I should take advantage of the opportunity.

However, as soon as Sylvestre left and the children were both at school, I ran into the telegraph office to send the following telegram to Léa Valencourt.

Concert tonight at Palais Garnier. Want to come?

MB

Only a few hours later, I received a reply.

Hell yes

LV

The next few hours were uneventful, but I couldn't help but think of Léa. I couldn't wait to see her again, to talk to her about the concert, to listen to Jean-Luc's violin playing with her by my side. I could hardly focus on Sophie's English lesson when the concert was mere hours away.

Just before the concert, I picked Jean-Luc up from school, and Jean-Luc, Sophie, and I walked to the Palais Garnier. "I don't want to play tonight," Jean-Luc complained, dragging his violin case on the ground.

"I'm sorry, but there are hundreds of people waiting to hear you," I said. "And could you please show a little bit more respect to your instrument?"

Jean-Luc grunted incomprehensibly as he picked up the violin. However, he slammed it into a door seconds later, as if he were trying to prove a point.

"Stop it, Jean-Luc," I said. "If you can't play tonight, it's going to be your fault."

"I already said I don't want to play."

I sighed in exasperation as the three of us approached the Palais Garnier. We hadn't even entered the building yet, but already, I felt sick to my stomach. This was the first time I had been here since Bergmann's death, and I could already see the riots, the policemen, the glimpse of Bergmann's corpse lying on the floor next to the staircase.

"Hi Mattie," I heard someone say, and I turned and saw Léa. "Are you okay? You don't look like you're doing too well."

"I'm fine," I insisted.