Real Love

Robert watched as his daughter dropped her phone and ran upstairs, slamming her bedroom door shut

Robert watched as his daughter dropped her phone and ran upstairs, slamming her bedroom door shut. His wife, Carol pinched the bridge of her nose between her fingers and sighed.

"What's going on here?" he asked, sliding the back door shut behind him.

Carol glanced up at him and groaned.
"From what I gathered of her yelling, her and Meek  just broke up... and somebody doesn't approve of her best friend coming around the house anymore so what do you expect, Robert, huh?" She grew impatient as she spoke, scowling at him from across the room.

There had been an uncomfortable cloud of tension looming over the house ever since he'd found out that his daughter's best friend was a lesbian.
He'd panicked and said some things he shouldn't've, like banning Beyoncè from entering the house and spending any time with his little girl. His sweet and innocent little Onika.

Onika hadn't spoken to him, let alone looked at him, in the eight days since he made a colossal mess of things.

It's just, he'd panicked when Carol had pointed out to him the way that Beyoncé looks at Onika when she isn't looking. They'd been sitting on the couch having their monthly movie night, which Beyoncé has been apart of for years since the girls first become friends, and it was just like any other night, until Carol had pointed this out to him.

So without over-thinking, he picked up Onika's phone from where she'd threw it on the floor and rang Beyoncé.

"Babydoll, you know you can't ring me. It's Friday... your dad will kill me if he knew you were ringing me, no matter how much I've missed you all week." Beyoncé sounded defeated.

A slight twinge struck Robert's chest as he heard the clear upset he'd caused both girls. Clearing his throat, he turned away from Carol' weary gaze.

"Beyoncé, this is Robert... Onika's dad." he said trying not to sound too awkward. Wincing slightly as he heard Carol sharp intake of breath and cross the room to give him a warning stare.

"Sir? Is Onika alright?" she asked, the confusion in her tone bordering worry.

"Would you mind stopping by the house?" he asked politely, seeing Carol eyes bug out of her head, and a small smirk play on her lips as he rolled his eyes at her.
"I-I'll be there in five minutes." she stuttered, hanging up instantly.

Sure enough, four minutes and fifty-eight seconds later, Beyonce was pulling up in the drive way and knocking on the door frantically.

Robert answered the door, Carol standing behind him smiling apologetically at the young girl in greeting.

Beyoncé gaze flickered between the two of them, as the tears filled her eyes and her panting increased.
"Where is she? Is she okay? Oh god, what happened?" her voice broke as a tear slipped down her face.