❛sorting ceremony.❜

lights down low, maejor ft. waka flocka flame.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

no one's pov:

in the wooden boat, a seemingly small girl fidgeted in her seat, anxiety bubbling throughout her body. the boy next to her, another shy, timid boy - neville, if she remembered correctly. across from her, two loud boys, who were obnoxiously laughing. they clicked quickly, she thought. dean thomas and seamus finnigan. troublemakers, she was quick to be prejudiced.

other boats gracefully swam across the lake. gasps were contagiously spread across the boats. the shy girl lifted her head and gawked at the sight. a large castle stood at the other end of the lake. in her opinion, sumptuous. simply elegant. the bright lights in the windows looked even brighter from the contrasting night sky, filled with billions of stars. she softly smiled to herself. home.

once the boats reached the docks, the girl was glued to her seat. the two loud boys exited without a thought and neville softly smiled at her, but she still couldn't shift. "nervous?" a voice drawled. she snapped her head to the source; a pale boy, with platinum blonde hair, stood smirking lightly. she flushed with embarrassment. "it's alright, come on, we'll miss the sorting." she looked up with big eyes and took his welcoming hand to get off the boat. he nodded his head and disappeared into the crowd of 11-year-old children. she sighed and sheepishly followed the crowd.

once inside, the bustle of excited and nervous children ran up the stairs, robes billowing out behind them. the chattering really loud. the girl caught the blonde boy in the corner of her eye. he looked her up and down before turning to talk to the two boys either side of him. she huffed in frustration. she was terrible at meeting new people. never good at making friends, really.

at the top of the stairs, a woman with a stern look etched into her face stood towering over the children. she wore a pointy black hat and green robes. "welcome to hogwarts!" she took note of her very strong scottish accent. "now, in a few moments, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. but before you take your seats - you must be sorted into your house." some of the children looked at her in wonder, others in annoyance. the teacher began to explain, "they are gryffindor," she began looking slowly around the children, "hufflepuff, ravenclaw and slytherin." she noticed the blonde boy smirk and nod at his friends, must be a pureblood.

the girl lost interest after this. hearing bits of the professor's ramble about how your house will be your family. she rolled her eyes. the teacher talked about gaining and losing points and was about to explain the house cup when a boy's shout echoed through the corridor. "trevor!" the shy, timid boy picked up the slimy toad from the stair and looked up to meet a stern gaze. the girl internally winced for neville. "sorry." the professor lightly nodded, "the sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." the scottish woman curtly left.

the pale boy decided to speak up and break the silence, "it's true then, what they're saying on the train. harry potter has come to hogwarts." gasps emit through the crowd along with unhushed whispering. "this is crabbe and goyle," nodding to the boys beside him, "and i'm malfoy." he struts forward to face harry, "draco malfoy." a ginger boy sniggers but terribly tries to hide it behind a cough. draco sent a death glare his way, "think my name's funny do you." the girl giggled behind her hand. "no need to ask yours. red hair, and a hand me down robe. you must be a weasley." the girl vaguely remembered the weasley family. 'blood traitors' are what people call them.

she zones out once again, hearing bits of better wizarding families and she scoffs. harry declined his hand and malfoy looked hurt for a split second but covered his face with a cold mask and sneered at the boy. the scottish woman came back and tapped draco on the shoulder with a scroll. "we're ready for you now."

as the first years entered through the large doors, amazement filled their faces. four tables stretched out, with students of raging ages sitting at the benches, empty plates in front of them. one thing that caught the girl's eye were the floating candles that complimented the bewitched ceiling. she noticed at the end of the hall, a very grand table sat horizontally, opposite to the student tables - which were placed vertically. teachers of all kinds sat lined up, most filled with warm smiles. right in front of the table in the middle, a wooden stool sat. an old hat was perched on top.

the man in the middle, dumbledore - a very old man, raised from his seat to make an announcement. "first years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden," he began drawling on, "our caretaker, mr filch, has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds... to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death." she scrunched her face up in confusion.

the woman in green robes, mcgonagall if she remembered right, began talking, "now when i call your name, you'll come forth and i shall place the sorting hat on your head and you'll be sorted into your houses." the hat began talking and sorting people. hermione granger, gryffindor. draco malfoy got sorted into slytherin the minute the hat touched his head. once he sat down, he looked at me and smiled. a girl called susan bones was sorted into hufflepuff and weasley and potter both in gryffindor. typical.

"y/n y/l/n!" the girl tensed. she was shoved forward and she gradually made her way up the stairs, catching draco's eye. he nodded and smiled, he knew she was in a wealthy family. she carefully sat on the stool and as soon as the hat was placed on her head, he laughed. mcgonagall jumped as the sorting hat spoke, "well, a y/l/n eh? been a while hasn't it? you have potential in all houses," y/n stilled, she had to be slytherin, "but, but, you must be in one house only. not only for the rules, but for your family legacy. SLYTHERIN!" the hat bellowed out. she sighed a massive breath of relief and made her way slowly to the table with green and silver colours.

draco skidded across the bench to make room. she sheepishly smiled and sat next to him. "you could have told me you were a y/l/n, y/n. i wouldn't have been so harsh," he laughed. she faintly smiled and began staring at her lap. "hey," y/n lifted her head, "you alright?" she nodded, "i'm not very good at making friends, that's all." draco grinned and stuck his hand out, "let's start over, i'm draco." y/n brightly smiled at his hand and took it tightly, "y/n."

across the evening, the two ate, talked, and grew a bond over potions. well, y/n thought, at least i made a friend.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

edit (02/07), vote, comment!

amber, <3.