Chapter 26 - Second guessing

"Can you walk?" Loki's smug smirk made you scowl.

"Shut up, Trickster," he held you waist, leading you to the door of the kitchen. The door unlocked and slowly opened, Loki's head peaking out to see the coast clear. "Are we good to go?"

"Yes," you hand was taken, both of you gliding down the hall. "I hope they didn't miss us too much,"

"I hope they didn't hear us," you sigh, fiddling with your dress and hair.

"Over that music?" He listens to the pounding classical tunes. "I doubt they would,"

"You're lucky, that was very risky,"

"Yes, well, don't act like it didn't add to the thrill," His hand intertwined with yours, chuckling softly at your deadpan.

"What did Odin wish to speak to you about?" this caused Loki to take you down a flight of stairs to the gardens.

"Wonderful news, my love,"

"Would you like to elaborate?"

"You are looking at the new heir to the throne,"

Dropping your jaw to the damp cobblestone path, Loki nods in assurance. "Seriously?"

"Deadly, Odin has realised his actions and will allow me to be crowned because Thor wishes not to be,"

"Oh, Loki, that's wonderful!" his eyes seemed to melt against the moonlight, glimmering as they stuck to yours. "I'm so happy for you,"

"My life seems almost complete,"

"Almost?" your furrowed brows made him chuckle, his knee reached the ground, his hand held in yours. "Shut up,"

"Y/n L/n, from the day we met you intrigued me, enchanted me to the point I was certain you were a sorceress. Never have I thought on a trip to the kitchen, to avoid my brothers ghastly eating habits that I would meet the love of my life,"

"It turned from small banter about Shakespeare to a longing to have you as mine, and that night I saw you, even with a mask on, I knew I had found the woman I would want to wed one day. As you have given me your all I will never stop giving you my all. I love you, Y/n, so very much..."

"Now, I ask you, even plead as I did when I asked to court you that night, to give me a chance yet again, by taking a leap and accepting my proposal,"

A single emerald ring was brought out from his pocket. "Were you carrying that this entire time?" you laugh through happy tears.

"I've been carrying it for a month, my love,"

"You really are serious then?"

"Was that not obvious?" he tilts his head with a smirk as you wiped your eyes with a handkerchief he held out. "So...? Y/n L/n, the love of my life, the woman who has changed me, made me seen the good in the world, will you marry me?"

"You're an idiot if you think I'd say no," letting the ring slip onto your finger he was tackled to the ground in a long kiss.

~~~

"Where have you two been??" Frigga rushes over with a look of concern.

"We've been busy," you hold out your hand where the gem shone from.

"Oh my nines!" Frigga gasps catching the attention of everyone. Her arms wrapped tightly around you. "Congratulations!" Odin and Thor rush up with confused faces.

"Father, Brother," Loki smiles at the two who cast down to look at your ring.

"Finally!" Thor hugged the trickster tight as the warriors and Sif join the commotion.

~~~

Loki's time had been taken up with preparations for him to become King. It had been months since he proposed and it seemed the wedding was not coming anytime soon.

This was nothing like his princely duties, now the fate of the nine realms rested on his shoulders and he wouldn't lie and say he wasn't feeling the pressure.

What made it all worth it was when he came back to your shared room, where you were often half asleep when he returned.

But his greatest fear was starting to lurk in his thoughts. You were drifting from him, your arms loosening each night until there was a pillow to fence off your sides of the bed.

He laid awake at night, contemplating to reach out and hold you again. Wanting to feel your loving kiss and not one that was quick and distant.

~~~

"Y/n, darling," Loki sat down on your side of the bed after returning from a late night meeting.

"Not now, Loki, I'm tired," you turned away only for him to make you face him again. "Loki,"

"Look at me, darling, please," he took a sharp breath as you sat up with a monotone face.

"What?"

"Do you still love me?" this snapped your eyes open, your hand taking his. "Or have you fallen out of love?"

"Loki, of course I still love you, why-"

"You seem so distant... I miss you, I miss holding you at night and kissing you whenever I could," he pushed back his falling hair.

"I just... I didn't want to bother you... I didn't want to seem clingy, you seemed so busy with your duties,"

"That doesn't mean I don't want to spend my spare moments with you,"

You pushed the blanket aside and made room for him, his arms curling around you, his head resting on your chest. "I'm so sorry, my love, I just thought you were second guessing the wedding,"

"Second guessing? Y/n, that's all that has been on my mind," he looked up to you. "I know we haven't had time to discuss the ceremony but-"

"I don't care for a large celebration, I just want a small one, with the people closest to us,"

"Then so be it,"

~~~

:))))

:))))

- Anna ❤️