Chapter 24

"Hey Mom." I said that night as my mother prepared plates for dinner.

"Offspring?" She said, acknowledging me but not turning to look at me. Her blonde hair was pulled into a low ponytail and she had yet to change from her scrubs. 

"Jesse asked me out." I said, watching as my mother froze and place down whatever she was putting on the chicken. 

"What did you say?" She asked, slowly turning around to face me. She had clearly been working very hard to get rid of a giddy smile.

"I said that I would think about it." I said to her. 

"Well, have you thought about it?" She asked.

"Yes." 

"So?"

"I would like to go out with Jesse."

"Tell him." 

I nodded quickly. She clapped her hands together in excitement and beamed. She seemed to have completely forgotten that she was getting dinner ready.

"I'm so excited!" Her voice had gone up to what sounded like an entirely different octave. "My daughter finally found me a son!"

"Mom." I said. "I'm going to tell him later, please don't make it weird."

"Do not rob me of this joy, Whitney." My mother said. "How are you going to tell him?"

"I was thinking about sending a pigeon." I said, pulling my phone out of my back pocket and waving it at her. "I'm texting him." She gave me one final smile and promptly turned around to continue her work with the chicken. I headed back upstairs to my room to inform Jesse that we would go on a date. 

Sitting on the edge of my bed and vigorously tapping my foot on the hardwood floor, I spent some time mulling around what to say to him. The only thing I knew was that I would be texting him. 

Me, 5:49: Hey Jesse
Jesse, 5:49: Hey Whitney
Me, 5:49: So I did think about it
Jesse, 5:52: Ok.
Me, 5:53: I think you need a partner in crime 
Jesse, 5:55: This may be a misinterpretation. Did I just get friend zoned
Me, 5:56: Nope. I want to go on a date with you.
Jesse, 5:56: Hell yeah :)

At 6:00 PM, I practically tumbled down the stairs to show my mother the texts. By this time, she was plating the chicken that she was focusing on. 

"Did you do it?" She asked, quickly whipping around to gauge the news by my demeanor. Pride and excitement flitted across her face. 

"Do what?" Charlie asked, leaning over the couch. Lexi had driven her home. Lexi was also very hastily given gas money from my mother as a thanks. 

"Yes!" I said, nodding. I then showed my mother the text messages between me and Jesse. Charlie was looking on curiously. 

"Do what?" My little sister asked again, jumping from her place on the couch and scampering into the kitchen to look at my phone. My mother hid the screen from her. 

"Very well said, Whitney." My mother said happily. 

"Thank you!" I beamed, clasping my hands together. 

"What did you say?" Charlie demanded, still trying to see the messages. "To who?"

"Have you made any plans yet?" Our mother asked. 

"What?" Charlie yelled in frustration. She was practically bursting at the seems. 

"Let me see." I said, taking my phone from my mother, who had just extended it out to me. She filled Charlie in while I was occupied. 

Me: Do you have any plans in mind yet
Jesse: Not really. Miles was saying that it would be fun if it was a surprise
Me: I drive and you don't,, a surprise wouldn't rly work out
Jesse: Oh snap you're right. Tentative coffee?

I showed them the messages and identical grins spread across both of their faces. Charlie, living vicariously through me. My mother, proud to see me grow up. 

"I love it." Charlie said in raw excitement. "Please, can I come?"

"Oh, absolutely not." Our mother said with a decisive shake of her head. "I do trust Jesse for the most part, and I know that you're the one driving, but your location stays on."

"I know." I nodded. This rule stayed in place even when Charlie and I went to hang out with friends, so it was really nothing new. After having been asked out for the very first time in my life, I was feeling sort of high. 

"Hey Mom, did you know that Jesse's scared of snakes?" Charlie asked our mother as she turned to finish plating dinner for the three of us. 

"I did not know that, Charlie." Our mother replied, rather unsure of what to do with this information.