Chapter Eleven

live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chapter Eleven

It was a terrible idea. The majority of the morning had been spent with Avery gushing over me being a human mate for logan and constantly telling me how great mated life was. All I could do was sit there, nod and smile but inside I was throwing up. She was so perky and happy. Almost like she had forgotten what It was like out there beyond these walls of comfort and lavishness. How people were starving and dying because of monsters like her mate.

'' it was tough for me too '' she said knocking me out of my thoughts. '' I'm sorry what?'' I replied unsure on what she was referring too. '' The mating, I didn't accept it either, I wanted to stay with my family, that was where I belonged, or so I thought. These things have a way of working themselves out.'' her face lit up like a Christmas tree. I clamped my mouth shut and tried so hard not to respond because if I did it wouldn't be nice. Instead, I picked up the cup from the table and took a sip of the sweet tea. The warmth spread through my stomach and lessened my anger. Somewhat.

'' tell me about your life Bonnie, what was it like before? '' Avery took a sip of her own tea and waited for me to respond. But I didn't know how too. I didn't trust her to tell her about what happened to my parents, she wasn't my friend, she wouldn't help me. So instead, I told her part of the truth. '' I did what I could for my family, I worked for ration tickets and tried to survive. That's all to it'' I shrugged my shoulders to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but she set her cup down and reached across the table grabbing my hand. This action startled me. '' oh, you poor thing, what district were you in?'' '' three'' I answered. It wasn't a lie, when I was living with a foster family that's where I grew up. '' well, aren't you just lucky the moon goddess blessed you with such a fantastic mate then '' Avery said letting go of my hand and returning back to her tea. '' yeah'' was all I could say.

The walk back to logans room was quiet, my guard who I had named Toby didn't say much but I didn't care, it gave me a reason to look around my surroundings, to figure things out. The main house during the day was usually pretty busy. People were always walking around. There had to be an exit somewhere that people hardly used. Maybe the kitchens? I needed to get a better layout of the house. I looked at Toby's back and then an idea popped into my head. '' Hey Toby'' I said trying to get his attention. He turned his head and looked at me with a confused expression. '' that's not my name'' he replied with a gruff voice before returning to the front. '' I know that, but I didn't know your name, so I gave you one. '' '' anyway'' I continued '' can you show me around the pack house?'' I said in my sweetest voice possible. A few seconds ticked by before he responded. ''no'' was all he said.

'' why not?'' I sounded like a whiny child, all I needed was to stamp my foot and I would become one. He didn't speak after that, he just continued to ignore me.

Seconds later we had arrived back onto Logans floor and Toby was opening the door to his room. Logan was still sat on the sofa with appears all around him but when he saw me enter the room he got up and walked towards me, his face lit up and his eyes sparkled as they looked at me. '' Did you have a nice breakfast with Luna Avery?'' he asked me but looked at Toby. I rolled my eyes and sat down on the sofa he was on only moments ago. The cushions were still warm from his presence. '' it was nice'' was all I said. Logan didn't look happy with my answer but that was all he was getting so he turned to toby and they started to speak in hush tones.

I narrowed my eyes at them, I knew they were talking about me I just couldn't hear them. '' Toby's mean'' I blurted out to stop them talking and it worked. Both men looked towards me. Logan looked highly confused and Toby looked annoyed. Ha!

'' who on earth is Toby'' logan said looking concerned. I pointed towards my guard '' Him'' I said. Toby just shook his head. '' Your mate has taken it upon herself to re name me sir.'' Logan looked at me for a second and then burst out laughing. Loud booming laughs echoed of the walls and I swear I could see tears in his eyes, but he recovered. '' and why is Toby...mean?'' he asked trying not to laugh again.

'' because I asked him to show me around the pack house and he said no. '' Logan didn't find this funny. His face turned serious. Gone was the child like man who just had a laughing fit over the name toby but in its place was Beta Logan. Serious Logan. He nodded towards Toby who nodded back and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Uh-oh. This didn't seem good. Logan came and sat on the seat next to me and placed his hand on my arm. I looked at it questioningly and then back up at him '' I don't think you ready to tour the pack house yet, you've only just met the alpha and Luna. I think you should take it slow. Your new here and everyone will understand. '' he was treating me like a petulant child. I knew why he didn't want me to explore the pack house and that was because he didn't trust me. he was afraid I would show him up in front of everyone. I just needed to connive him that I would be on my best behaviour. I needed to explore so I could find a way out.

So, I put on a mask and pretended to be the perfect mate. I placed my hand over logans and stared at him '' I know you don't trust me right now but that will change. I just wanted to explore my new home and meet everyone. You're their beta and you mean something to them, so that means something to me. But if your embarrassed to be seen with me then I understand '' I said in a sad voice as I moved to get up from the sofa. Logan jumped up next to me and grabbed my hands pulling me towards him '' no! of course I'm not embarrassed to be seen with you! You my mate and I want to show you off to the world. It's just I didn't think now is the right time.'' I nodded and looked down. '' okay, let's take a tour around the pack house'' he said. My head shot up and I faked excitement. '' really?'' I said trying to make my voice sound chipper '' he nodded '' really'' he said with a smile.