Letter 10

Somehow between walking with Anne to school and working on the farm with Sebastian, the winter holiday was flying past. It was the week of Christmas and Sebastian and Mrs Lacroix had decided to have a small Christmas dinner with their family. It was not a problem for Gilbert but he had hoped to celebrate the day with Anne. At least the Christmas Pantomime was this evening and was due to bring them together tomorrow night. However, with the whole of Avonlea in attendance, they would be restricted to small smiles and glances.

"Sebastian, we will be late" Gilbert yelled as he picked up baby Delphine and found her little coat. She had grown up so quickly and was even into the habit of speaking regally, to their surprise Mrs Lacroix and Elijah had decided to join as well. With everyone ready the hopped into the cart and rode away. Gilbert held Delphine close to his chest to keep her warm from the cold. As suspected the whole town was in attendance, through the crowd it was easy to spot Anne, with Delphine gripped to his side he made his way to say hello.

Anne was wearing a festive deep blue dress that he had never seen her wear before, unlinked the day dresses she had worn before this one was embordered with birds and flowers. "We were just expecting you all to arrive, we saved a row of seats over here" Anne smiled before bidding the rest of Gilbert's company a good evening. 

"Anna" Delphine mumbled reaching out for Anne, who was all too happy to take the child,

"Good to see you too little miss, come sit with your dad, the show is about to start," she told the girl who clapped her hands at what Anne had said. Sebastian took the child and placed her on his lap. Anne and Gilbert took a seat and admired the room. "Are you excited for Christmas?" Anne asked creating a formal conversation. Gilbert could almost laugh at how changed their topic of conversation seemed to be from this morning.

"I am actually, seeing as we were roped into painted the set ourselves without the master Coles help" Gilbert nodded to himself with pride.

"Doctor and a painter, how accomplished" Anne joked in a low voice. Beside them, Mathew and Marilia knew better than to interrupt their conversation and so made their time by discussing topics with Sebastian. Some of their old classmates were here, and some even came to say hello before the show started. Dianna's welcome was the most humorous as she joked about her part in bringing her friends together. Others were more uncomfortable for Anne, which she kept a quiet tone and allowed Gilbert to do all the talking.

"You still don't like him do you?" he asked and she shook her head, some candles were extinguished and the show began to start. Fortunately, the story was drastically different and the pupils a grade below Gilbert and Anne's appeared to take the leading roles. As the show came to a close the audience stood and clapped heartedly at the sight. Fortunately, the night was not yet complete as the Berry family were holding a small gathering to welcome their daughter back for the holidays. It seemed like an awful lot to do just for the holidays, and sitting beside Gilbert, Anne couldn't help but anticipate more to the story, she just hoped that her friend would still be able to complete her education. 

As the audience tricked out, Sebastian called for Gilbert quickly, "I think I better get this lot home, My mother and Elijah want to get home, and I better get this little one to bed before we have hell tomorrow. But you should go" he winked "Marilia said she would be happy to put you up tonight in Jerry's room" he added knowing that it would be extremely unpleasant to return in the dark of night in the cold. Gilbert considered that perhaps Sebastian's family was not quite settling into life in Avonlea, and thought to pick up in private.

Gilbert hopped into the back of the wagon, and Anne stood up and joined him. In an uncomfortable way they looked up and enjoyed the sky that was filled with stars. "I read a book about the constellations, sailors use them to navigate you know?" Anne asked in wonder. Gilbert nodded at the thought and looked even closer. "There, that is the northern star you see, that's the one they use. You can tell it because it shines even brighter than the rest" she added.