Chapter 3- Mission

Sorry for the late update!
----------

Guilt washed over me as I replayed the incident in my head. His blue eyes had hinted 'hurt' after I obnoxiously had ranted.

"SARAH!" I turned my head and saw my dad on the couch.

When did I come home?

"Oh. Hey Dad. Sorry.. I was just thinking," I replied.

"It's fine. Just wanted to remind you to take the garbage out," He merely waved his hand, and smiled.

I nodded. "Yeah. Sure."
I began walking towards the stairs to my room.

"You know, your mother used to do that. "
"Do what?"
"Space out and think. It could be a genetic thing," he chuckled. His reply became distant as I entered my room.

Yeah. It just might be.

It's been years since mom had passed. When dad knew that her life was limited, it was hard for his heart to bear. Ultimately, it shattered into a thousand pieces when she had taken her last breath. Since that day, it has always been my dad and I.

For some time, he was quite upset that he had just lost a loved one. He didn't go to alcohol as an answer, but stayed in his room as a safe haven. However, he tried to make the best of it by keeping my mom's promise of never leaving my side. Fortunately, as time passed, his heart mended back together.

I smiled at the thought of his recovery.

Dropping my bag on my desk, I sat down and, instead of taking out my homework, I took out a card.

Why me? Why do I have to go?

I layed my head down as I stared at Kate in her tiny dress on the card. The thought of me in a dress was impossible. Everyone in the world would call it 'Mission Impossible'.
I barely have boobs (32B), I don't have a big butt, I don't have long, slender legs. The list could go on forever.

Shoving the card into a drawer, I made a decision.

I'm not going.

------------

Checking the clock, I lay awake in my bed at 11:33PM.

The moment I close my eyes, I see Cigarette-Man's face and guilt rewashes over me in an instant.

God, please help me.

Suddenly, as if God was sending his reply, a thought popped into my head.

Just apologize...

Now, that's what I would call 'Mission Impossible'.

-------------
The next morning, I threw my hair into a messy bun and wore a sweater over my flannel shirt. Nothing fancy.

I arrived to school at approximately 7:56AM and only had one thought in mind:

Where the hell would I find Cigarette-Man?

I picked up the pace and went to my first period class, then second, then third, and so on.
As usual, school went by like a blur. The moment the last bell rang throughout the whole school, every student swarmed into the hallway and ran out the school doors.

However, I wasn't one of them today. I was on a mission. By the time it was 3PM, the school was already empty but I was still walking in the hallways, finding Cigarette-Man.
Out of nowhere, a distant sound of a piano was being played.

Someone's here?.... Could it be?

My head shot up and my shoes pitter-pattered against the school tiles. Getting eager by the second, I began to run.

In less than a minute, I arrived at the auditorium. I tried peering through the glass window on the door, but it was too dark.
I slowly opened the door and was engulfed by the darkness, along with a light melody from what was being played.

I sat in the nearest chair and listened. With every note that was skillfully being played, I was gradually being hypnotized. The longer I listened, the more I questioned:

Who is this person?

I quietly got up from my seat, and walked down the stairs, towards the piano. By the time the piece was done, I was 3 feet away from the instrument.
I squinted to see who the mysterious piano player was, but no luck; I still couldn't see his/her face.

"Who are you?" I immediately covered my mouth, and blushed as I realized I had just broke the beautiful silence.

After several seconds, he/she replied,
"Shouldn't you be calling me Cigarette-Man?"

My eyes widened and I dropped my hand.
I found him.