eight

"How was it?"

Only three words, but said by the right person to easily put my anxious mood to rest. Well, somewhat to rest. Harry stood in front of me, a foot taller staring down at me with furrowed brows waiting on an answer. And honestly, I didn't know how to answer.

"Sunflower? How was it?"

Harry Lambert was amazing, really. I think I'm going to learn a lot from him, don't get me wrong. But he is a tad overwhelming. He does so much and I'm scared I won't be able to keep up or live up to his expectations. And I miss my friends, and my cozy little apartment.

But I would never tell Harry that.

"Great." I try to relax my shoulders, still slightly on edge from the meeting that took place hours ago. When Lambert had asked all his questions, he left me alone in the dressing room without a second thought. I had been in here for what seemed like years before Harry nearly busted the door down.

"Don't lie. Was he mean? He can be a little overbearing sometimes."

"He was fine. Everything was fine. It's great, promise." He takes my assurance reluctantly, sweeping his eyes over my face once more before walking back towards the door.

"Are you coming?" He lets the door drag closed behind him, barely stopping to wait for me to catch up. His legs are twice the length of mine. His laxed walking is easily my jog, and nobody seems to notice me falling behind. Several security guards follow behind and in front of us, the front ones walking at the same pace he is and the ones in the back falling slightly behind my step. It's so crazy to see how he lives on a daily basis. I've been around him a total of twenty eight-ish hours and the only place security detail hasn't followed him was the cathedral. As soon as his car drove up to the back entrance of the arena, security has swarmed him. He split off from me, leaving me in the hands of Jeffery, who threw a clearance lanyard at me before leaving me in the dressing room to wait on Lambert alone, despite strict instructions from Harry to never leave me by myself.

"Where are we going and why are we going so fast?"

"One, to meet my friends. Two, it's the other side of the arena. Thats why we're going fast. I'm walking, but you are running. Perhaps you should grow longer legs. Or...... Maybe we can get you a Segway." I can hear the smirk in his voice, and from the side I can see his mouth turned up at the corner.

I know without a doubt he'd be the one on the Segway, and I'd still be running to catch him.

"I don't need a fucking Segway." He copies my words in an exaggerated mock, tilting his head to both sides as he pretends to run. I shake my head but can't help the smile in my face as he continues to mimic my walking. In the distance I can hear music, the same tune being played over and over again, each time with a slightly different sound.

"Wait is this sound check? You're taking me to sound check?" I raise my eyebrows, almost out of breath from the half jog I'm having to maintain.

"Duh." The security guards in front of us lead us around turns and corners, the halls around us getting slimmer and darker by the second until finally lights are seen flicking on and off through a small opening. At the last minute the security detail stops, and Harry pushes in front of them and out onto the open stage.

I wait for a minute, hearing him interacting with his friends and band mates after not seeing them for a few weeks.

Then it's like I've waited too late to emerge from the hallway because Harry peeps his head back to look for me, motioning for me to come out of my hiding place. Heat rises up my neck and I know I've got hives covering the skin from my neck to my chest, lucky for me my jacket is still wrapped tightly around my chest. I step out slowly, forcing a smile as my hands fidget inside my coat pockets.