Chapter 1 - A Discovery

What first was understood as a search mission had quickly turned into something different. Glynda Goodwitch and her team, Team GRND, had been instructed by Headmaster Ozpin to look for a group of soldiers that had gone missing in Apex Jungle, a giant jungle full of dangerous beasts and most importantly grimm. They were to find the soldiers, either dead or alive, and report their status. If alive they were to be brought to Beacon Academy's infirmary to take care of any wounds. If dead, they were to be brought to the nearest cemetery to be buried.

After a couple of days of trekking through the forest, Rihanna Sonada stopped in her track.

"What is it, Rihanna?" Glynda asked, pushing her glasses up a bit.

"Captain, I, uh...I think I found them." Rihanna said in shock, as she slowly raised her hand and pointed at four corpses. They were clad in the uniforms of the Atlesian Military Unit. The corpses had been hung from a tree, and their heads were peeled open with no skull remaining. Glynda walked to the corpses with no fear as she inspected the dog tags wrapped around their necks.

"It's them," Glynda confirmed.

"May they rest in peace." Natalie Amber said, doing a small pray for them and holding her necklace with the symbol of the Church of Oum on it.

"But this...This was no beast or grimm." Glynda said.

"What makes you say that?" Rihanna asked.

"The skulls weren't ripped out. They were carefully removed." Glynda said. "Almost like a surgeon would do. We're dealing with a human or faunus, and my instinct tells me they're still out there."

"What do we do now then?" Diana Vermillion asked.

"Now? We return, and notify Ozpin of what we found. Finding the killer is not our mission, and I'd rather not put you three in danger." Glynda said.

"Awww, you care about us," Rihanna said, pinching her shorter leader's cheek.

In the distance, a humanoid being was watching them, observing through his mask. While they were prime game for this being, they didn't present as a threat, and thus he chose to leave them alone. The being began hopping from tree to tree, going deeper into the jungle. Once far enough away from the huntresses, he uncloaked and revealed a human male. He had a very muscular frame and his hair consisted of long dreadlocks. He wore a mask that was gray and made out of thick metal-like material. It featured three laser pointers just above the right eye which is used to target the laser cannon mounted to his shoulder. The male proceeded to make a series of clicking sounds, communicating in his language to three other beings, but of a completely different species. They dropped to the ground in front of him.

One was a male with a type of brand marked into his mask, the mark of The Blooded, he also wielded a large sword and shield that looked very technological. He looked very experienced and he was a foot or two taller than the human male. The other was a female, with the same mark as the male next to her. She wielded a battle-axe style weapon and had a very slim yet muscular frame. The final one was the clear leader of the group, much taller than the other male standing next to him. He had the same mask but with several scratches and damage marks either from grimm or some other beast they hunted, along with the mark of The Blooded. He had a black cape and wielded a giant gauntlet mounted blade along with a Combi-Stick, a spear, and a staff hybrid.

"Well done, outsider." The leader, known as Vocha said to the human. To anyone else the sound he made as he talked sounded like a series of clicks, but the human seemed to perfectly understand it. The human held up a chain, attached to it were four skulls of the recently deceased soldiers he had hunted.

"They fought well and died with honor." The human, Y/N said to the leader.

"There was a fifth one, yes? Where did they go?" The female, named Shadow Prowler asked.

"She was a pregnant woman. While she could fight, the growing baby inside her was defenseless. There is no honor in killing her, only shame." Y/N said.

"Excellent. It seems like you're already smarter than your Yautja brethren and sisters." The final one wielding the spear said. His name was Ahtu.

"Only one thing remains, outsider. Are you ready to take the final step?" Vocha asked.

"Yes, of course," Y/N said.

A fair distance away, Diana was watching them through her Semblance, which could make her see anywhere within a two-kilometer radius.

"What do you see?" Glynda asked.

"Four...Things? One is definitely human, I'm not sure about the others though. I can't understand them for the life of me, they're speaking in some weird clicking language. But I think the male is the one who killed the soldiers."

"Hm..." Glynda said in thought. Rihanna and Natalie had split up to look for the fifth soldier. "Keep this in mind for when we return, I think Ozpin will find this interesting."

Diana nodded and deactivated her Semblance, running with Glynda to join Rihanna and Natalie in the search.

Meanwhile, the three Yautja and Y/N had returned to their village. It was a temporary home but good enough for the Yautja that made their home there. Vocha brought Y/N inside a building and once Y/N was inside, he locked the gates of the building. Y/N looked to the cage in the room. It was soon opened and from it ran out a Kiane Amedha. The creature was black and looked very much like an insect. It was humanoid and had an exoskeleton on the outside. The head was elongated cylindrical heads that looked more like a skull than a head. It had a very long blade tipped tail and a secondary mouth inside its mouth.

Y/N attached his wrist blades to his gauntlet and engaged in a fight with the beast. The Kiane Amedha tried several times to swipe or stab Y/N with its tail, but Y/N had observed his superiors fight them many times before, he knew what to do. Y/N kicked the beast away and fired a shot from his Plasmacaster at the beast, blowing up its tail. It shrieked in pain as its acid blood began spraying, melting some parts of the ground and the building, but the building would last. Y/N could finish off the beast right here with another shot, but he knew that was how a coward would earn the title of Blooded, and doing that would gain him no real respect from his three superiors. Instead, Y/N walked to the beast.

The Kiane Amedha proceeded to flail its tail about, trying to spray Y/N with acid, which it did but Y/N's armor was resistant to the acid. He walked to the beast and grabbed it by its neck. Y/N then stabbed into it and sliced downward, slicing it open with guts spilling out of the now-dead corpse. Y/N let out a victorious warcry as Shadow Prowler then walked in. "Well done." She clicked.

Vocha then walked in with Ahtu. Vocha dipped his fingers into the acid blood and then traced the mark of The Blooded onto Y/N's helmet. Y/N felt amazing, he was on cloud nine. Once he was declared a Blooded, Y/N walked into a house in the village, where a female Yautja was waiting for him. She ran to him when she saw the mark and hugged him.

"I'm so proud of you." The Yautja clicked, her name was Mist Crawler. She was a retired Blooded, evident by the stand in the room holding her helmet and her Combi-Stick.

"Thank you, mother." Y/N smiled under his helmet.

The two continued to hug it out until it was time for the celebration feast. In this particular tribe of Yautja, whenever a new Blooded was given the title the tribe would celebrate by hunting the biggest animals they could find and roasting them over a fire, which Vocha, Ahtu, Shadow Prowler, and Y/N all did together as one unit, eventually returning with enough meat for the entire tribe. After it was all cooked and everyone was eating, Vocha turned to Y/N.

"Y/N, I have a new mission for you," Vocha said.

"What is it?" Y/N asked.

"The scouts have told me that near our grounds is an academy where they train warriors. You are to go to that academy and see if you have anything to learn from them. Do not kill or hunt unless necessary." Vocha said.

"Unless you want to lose your title of Blooded and bring shame to our tribe." Shadow Prowler said with venom in her voice.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Y/N said. "What are the coordinates?"

Back at Beacon, Ozpin was overlooking his window. Team GRND had found the fifth soldier, and after she told him what happened Team GRND had been dismissed and the woman was sent to the infirmary. He took a sip of his coffee. "A Yautja, huh?" Ozpin asked himself.

"Interesting."