'Our Heaven'

I look at Luke in shock and he quickly puts his hand out to me again, passing it through my midriff as if I were now a ghost to him too. He looks at me in horror, his eyes wide and lip trembling as he tries to grasp what has happened 'I can't- I can't feel you' he whispers, his voice straining as he tries to breathe calmly. Alex rushes towards me and puts his arms out trying to embrace me, but his hands close around thin air rushing past my body. He backs away from me shaking his head in disbelief and desperation, opening his mouth to speak but just letting out a small whimper instead - a sound that I've never heard from Alex and one that breaks my heart. Reggie sinks down into the chair beside him, covering his face with his hands, his shoulders heaving up and down as he cries silently. 'Kay' Julie croaks approaching me slowly as if I were a bomb that could explode at any minute 'what's happening to you?' she asks cautiously, her eyes pleading with me to tell her everything's fine. I open my mouth but nothing comes out, not trusting myself to speak. I shake my head, tears dripping down my cheeks and running off my nose as I take a deep breath, my chest shuddering as I wince at the ache behind my ribs - in my heart. 'We all knew this would happen' I speak deliberately and quietly 'but hey, I got to play the Orpheum didn't I?' I look around the room in a frenzy, my gaze becoming cloudy and my head dizzy as I look for confirmation in my friends. As I look into Luke's eyes I feel the entire world collapse around me, the usual pools of molten gold and emerald now dark and empty. I feel myself falling into the new void that his eyes hold, suffocating as I let myself go over the edge and hit the bottom. It's the same feeling I had on the beach, of drowning in thick black oil, pouring into my lungs and choking me - except now it has a sense of finality and of no return. Like the final chord of a symphony, ringing out through the orchestra and signalling the end to a masterpiece; and as the audience stands up to leave, I stay on stage watching everything around me become empty, begging for someone to applaud me, to let me know it's all been worth it. His eyes speak volumes, and I want to cry out, selfishly tell him to smile for me, let his smile be the last thing I see. I sharply take in a painful breath, the air is now toxic and polluted sending me further into the brink of destruction. I look at Julie who is crying softly, watching me carefully as I stand in the middle of the room preparing to take my final bow. I don't dare take a step towards her. 'Jules?' I whisper, my voice cracking as I swallow back tears. She blinks at me and nods, and I see her trying to muster up a smile. 'You're the best thing that's ever happened to us Julie' I hold out my hand carefully, my muscles shaking and my body trembling as I do so. She looks down at my hand and then back at me before looking down at her own hand which she doesn't move to meet mine. Instead, she leaps towards me, enveloping me in her arms and she hugs me.

She hugs me.

I gasp as I tighten my grip around her, running my hands through her hair. She pulls away, her hands on my arms and looks at me, her eyes wide with shock. And, as she does, I see a small purple stamp leave my wrist floating into the air and dissolving. I laugh in wonder, the sound is strange to my ears and Julie laughs too before speaking softly 'I don't understand' she shakes her head and studies my face. I look down at where our hands are touching and I smile, everything becoming clear in my mind 'our unfinished business' I breathe 'our heaven, is here, with you Jules'. I laugh again and turn to the boys who are watching us with baited breath. Quickly, Reggie throws himself out of his seat and into my arms, holding me so tight I could burst, his sobs louder now. Alex joins us, throwing his arms around us both, and resting his head in my hair inhaling my scent. 'I love you guys' I smile through my sobs clutching at Reggie who is crying into my neck and leaning on Alex who is at my side. They both pull away and I face Luke who is yet to approach me, I take a step towards him slowly and hesitantly closing the gap between us. He reaches out to me, cupping my face in his hands, shaking his head in awe and wonder, 'it's you' he whispers in disbelief and I laugh loudly. I smile sarcastically, and lean into his hand 'well of course it's me who else would it-' I'm cut off as he pulls me towards him, one hand on my waist and the other still holding my face, crashing his lips against mine and kissing me. I immediately kiss him back, feeling mini explosions in my chest, like small fireworks, lighting up my brain in coloured bliss. Everything about this moment seems right, I'm no longer drowning, suffocating in agony, but being lifted, ascending even. He pulls away slowly, his eyes meeting mine, once again filled with light as he chuckles timidly. 'I've wanted to do that for a while' he whispers, running his thumb lightly over my cheek and looking at my lips again. I nod, not speaking, my heart beating uncontrollably and at a loss of breath. We look at each other for another moment before I hear a cough behind me and Alex steps towards us 'as much as I too have wanted that to happen for a while, that's still my best friend' he mutters protectively and I chuckle, kissing Luke quickly and lightly before looking back at Julie and Reggie who are both grinning like idiots. 'I owe Flynn 10 bucks' Julie mumbles, the smile not leaving her face as she looks at us with joy. I giggle and rush back over to her, hugging her as we both laugh into each other's hair. 'Hey Julie.. You think we could try that hug thing?' Alex asks timidly and she nods holding out her arms in welcome. The boys embrace us both, all of us smiling, laughing and crying. 'This is nice' Reggie whispers and I kiss him lightly on the top of his head before he looks up at Luke in worry 'I'd save your kisses for Luke' he mumbles softly and Luke nods, his face serious, but a mischievous twinkle in his eye. I smile at him and I feel a blush building on my cheeks before I rest my head on Alex's shoulder and close my eyes in bliss.

Later that night, we sit in the garage, just the four of us. Julie is asleep now, a smile still placed firmly on her face as she dreams. I lie back against Luke who is playing with my hair, kissing the caramel curls softly as he runs them through his fingers. Reggie lies opposite me, his legs resting on mine, his journal propped up on his chest, writing his latest country song 'the caramel cowgirl'. Alex is lent against the couch, his head tilted back on the cushions looking at me. 'Do you think I'll ever see Willie again?' he asks quietly, closing his eyes for a moment before looking back at me in earnest. I nod confidently, taking his hand in mine, 'I think so, he's crazy about you Al'. He closes his eyes again and nods briefly before looking across at Reggie 'hey Reg, I need your help with something'. He stands up quickly and gestures to the boy on the couch to follow him, who does so immediately leaving Luke and I, our limbs tangled together as I lie back against his chest. His hands move absentmindedly in my hair as he speaks softly, his voice sending vibrations through my body 'you really scared me Kay baby'. I sit up and look back at him and he pouts, the warmth of my body against his gone. 'I scared me too' I reply, hiding a smile and looking towards the garage door. He reaches out and pulls me towards him, kissing my forehead, then my temple and then my cheek. I giggle as he kisses my nose, our faces close as he looks at me, his hands brushing my hair behind my ears 'please don't scare me like that again' he breathes, his breath tickling the side of my face. I smile and shake my head fervently, before he smiles and kisses me, his mouth finding home on mine. 

~ The End ~

AN~

I would never make you guys wait too long!! Thank you so much for the support on this book across the three months I've been writing it! This was my first book, and it means the world to me that you've enjoyed it!

Thank you always 
All my love 

~ kay xo