Chapter 9

Brittany and Santana walked into the kitchen and sat heavily down at the table, Santana sighed, possibly with the word coffee mingled in with the sigh, Brittany thought, as Santana walked over to the coffee machine to get the coffee started.

Brittany watched Santana as she walked around the kitchen preparing something, humming to herself. Her eyes never left the brunette as she pulled out two mugs, filling them with coffee, she handed the blonde one cup and sipped her own.

"Thanks Santana," Brittany smiled at the blonde who gave a small smile back.

Brittany folded her arms on the table and leant her chin on her arms, continuing to watch the Latina as she worked around the kitchen, she moved so gracefully, Brittany thought, she couldn't be more beautiful then she was now, humming to herself, completely oblivious to Brittany watching her.

Brittany smiled as Santana began to sing to herself, something she hadn't heard in a long time, but sounded all the better coming from Santana than she had ever heard it sound, even from one of her favourite singers Sarah McLachlan.

"Adia I thought that we could make it, but I know I can't change the way you feel, I leave you with your misery, a friend who won't betray, I pull you from your tower, I take away your pain and show you all the beauty you possess If you'd only let yourself believe that, we are born innocent, believe me Adia, we are still innocent, It's easy, we all falter, does it matter?" Santana sung as she looked up, seemingly to only just remember Brittany was there.

Santana smiled shyly at the blonde, "Kind of forgot you were there Britt, sorry, lost in thought," Santana stated as she walked to the table with a huge bowl of salad, "knew there was a reason I made such a big salad, a little out of it at the moment," she smiled down at the blonde as she handed her a plate and a fork, placing the bowl of salad between them and began dishing out salad to Brittany.

"Never be sorry for something that sounds that beautiful Santana," Brittany smiled at the brunette, Santana stopped and put the bowl down.

"Brittany, seriously, what's going on? You can't say things like that to me and then expect me to just shrug it off, I like you and I know you like me too, what is this?" Santana stated, waving her hand in between the two of them, before placing her hands on her hips, looking Brittany in the eye.

"I think you're amazing Santana, so much talent and beauty, truly I do, but we can only be friends Santana, I'm your bodyguard and that's all there can be," Brittany stated, looking down at her shoes.

"How long are you going to keep this mantra up Brittany, the 'I'm your employee, bodyguard, friend only' shit, cause frankly I'm getting tired of it, aren't you?" Santana asked, taking a seat next to Brittany.

"We would be amazing together, can't you see that! We're seriously like ying and yang, I'm hot, you're hotter, I'm extroverted, you're introverted, brunette, blonde, and the chemistry, come on! How much longer can you deny this?" Santana put her hand under Brittany's chin as she finished her rant, making sure Brittany was looking in her eyes.

"I can't Santana," Brittany whispered quietly, averting her eyes from Santana's intense glare.

Santana grabbed the rest of her salad and her coffee and walked out onto the balcony, sliding the glass door with such force, Brittany was worried it would break. Santana took a seat on the balcony, scoffing her salad and staring into the mountains as Brittany watched her, slowly eating her own salad and sipped on Santana's strong coffee blend.

Her mind had shut off in the car, she had stopped over thinking things and imagined her life with Santana, how amazing it felt to give herself that leeway, just feel and imagine. She knew Santana was right, they did have amazing chemistry and complemented each other in nearly every way. It was Santana's history that really scared her, never having had a real relationship that was hard to change, no matter what the brunette thought of Brittany. Habits were hard to break, you can't just decide you want a relationship when you're only used to one night stands, it doesn't just work that way.