Chapter Four

The lights fell to darkness as the final song faded out, but the screams of the thoroughly entertained fans continued to ring strong. Even though the show was over, they clearly weren't ready to go home. Feet stomped on the stadium floor shaking the building to the rafters. My mind reeled. My blood ran thickly with adrenaline. Erosion Road had been spectacular. I'd never seen anything like it.

Ava suddenly linked my arm again, pulling me from the pitch-blackness of the wings and out into the bright hallway. Where the stadium had been still and quiet while the show was in full flow, everyone watching with rapt attention, it was now nothing but chaos. People rushing in every direction possible, men flooding the stage already dismantling the set, readying it to be moved to the next location.

Sticking close to Ava and Rachel, we exited through a fire door and landed in what looked like an oversized garage. A line of cars were waiting in front of a huge closed rolling garage door. Ava began leading me toward one of the vehicles, when suddenly the doors behind us opened. When I turned around, Erosion Road came barreling through. They were flushed and sweating from the exertion of performing. Towels were slung around their necks, and they were draining liter bottles of water.

Dave held the door open for them and, like they'd done this a million times before (I knew they obviously had), they began to head for the waiting cars too. Lachlan saw me standing with Ava and he and Jasper came over to where we were. Lachlan's messy auburn curls fell in loose spirals. His brown eyes were bright and his smile was wide. "Deci!" he said and drew to a stop. He wiped his forehead with his towel. "What did you think of the show?"

"Y'all were amazing. Truly," I said, meaning every word.

Lachlan winked in response, then nudged Jasper. "See. We're amazing."

Jasper rolled his eyes at Lachlan, then faced me. "Are you coming out with us tonight?"

"Out?" I asked, tiredness wrapping me in its hold. I hadn't checked the time, but I was pretty sure I'd been awake for over twenty-four hours at this point.

"Yeah. Clubbing," Jasper said. "You know, drinking, flirting, dancing."

"I'm only seventeen," I said, and immediately cringed. That sounded pathetic. 

I heard a muffled laugh come from someone near us, and when I looked over Lachlan and Jasper's shoulders, I saw Jack Summers smirking, his eyes on me. He'd obviously heard what I'd said and found it just as ridiculous as I had.

"It's okay, Deci," Lachlan said, casting an annoyed glance back at Jack. "Age doesn't matter much for us getting into clubs these days. Me and Jas are only seventeen too." Jack rolled his eyes at our conversation, clearly over it, then walked to one of the waiting cars and climbed inside.

I felt my face set on fire, thoroughly embarrassed that I'd sounded so juvenile. My voice failed me in conjuring up anymore conversation. Luckily, Ava spoke for me. "Guys, I'm guessing Deci is pretty much dead on her feet at this point. I'm just going to take her back to the hotel. We're up early tomorrow to get back on the road. I'm guessing like me she needs food, a bath and sleep." Ava looked at me. "Am I right?"

"You're right."

"No problem," Lachlan said. "Then we'll see you tomorrow." Jasper and Lachlan left and climbed in the same car that held Jack. Rhett and Callum had gone to the one behind them. I briefly wondered what their idea of clubbing actually entailed being so famous, then quickly decided it was better to not even think about it.

Ava led me to the waiting car and we slipped inside the back. Rachel was already there, eyes closed as she slept against the window. Dave appeared at the door and shut us inside. I heard the telltale sound of the garage door opening, then the cars were on the move. We had barely moved a few feet before I heard the sound of screaming fans again. I guessed it was something I was going to grow accustom to, and quickly. But the cars kept moving slowly through until we were onto a highway and picking up speed.