A Second Chance

A blinding light met my sensitive eyes, causing me to cry out. A cool breeze fluttered past and it sent chills all across my body. I had never been this cold before in my life. Or my new life, as I faintly recalled a child god reincarnating me. I decided to cry some more, as it only felt like the right thing to do. I could faintly hear people murmuring, but I didn't pay much attention to it as everything was too disorientating. I vaguely felt a rough rag being wrapped around me, most likely in attempt to warm me up from the freezing air. I only stopped crying when a pair of thin arms took hold of me and wrapped me in a warm embrace. Even without seeing the woman, I knew she was my mother. I also knew something was wrong. The room was too tense. Usually when a baby was born, there was a happier atmosphere. The woman holding me started rocking me back and forth, a wet substance dripping onto my face that I recognised to be tears. Through some inkling, I knew they weren't tears of joy.

A gruff voice called out to my birth mother, telling her something in a somber voice that made my breath hitch. "You know the boy can't be allowed to live." The arms around me tightened as the women cradling me hissed back at the man, venom in her voice, "You will not touch even a hair on my sons head." My now small brain was trying to wrap my head around the situation. The man wanted me dead. My mother wanted me alive. And I could somehow understand them even though they were speaking in a foreign language.

Deciding to keep calm, I forcefully opened my eyes only to peer at a stunningly beautiful lady, covered in sweat and tears. Her long black hair flowed around her, looking silky, and her eyes were the most brilliant blue I had ever witnessed. Realising this was my mother, our eyes locked onto each-other, and I spied the protective gleam in her eyes intensify the longer she looked at me.

"Adelina." The sound of the name being called knocked both of us out of our trance, my mothers eyes moving towards the speaker, different from the one before, being more serene and elegant. Adelina--who I assumed to be my mother-- shoulders curved inwards in defeat. Her grip on me loosened as the mystery man moved closer, peering down at me. Our eyes met, and his hard gaze seemed to soften the longer he looked at me. He had incredible blonde platinum hair that framed his honey-brown eyes. The man seemed familiar somehow, but I immediately dropped the thought as it didn't seem important in the current situation.

Deciding that this man had some kind of influence on my mother, I decided to get on the mans good side. Thinking back to all the isekai novels I used read in secret, I made up my mind. So I did what any smart person who reincarnated would do. I smiled brightly at the handsome man, arms shaking off the rough rag and reaching towards him, a soft giggle coming out of my small mouth.

Everyone in the room froze. My mothers arms once again tightened, but there was no hardness left in the mans eyes, and I could see him struggling to keep a smile off his face. My cute facade didn't falter even as the man reached his own arms down towards me. My mother hesitantly let the man pick me up and hold me in his strong embrace. Through the pass over, I couldn't help but giggle a bit. From my higher view point, I could now see that we were in a small, old, musky room that had a small bed in the middle, where my mother lay exhausted, looking at me with worry and concern.

Eyeing around the room, I saw another women who was standing in the corner, who probably was the midwife who helped deliver me into the world of the living. I ignored the fact that she was wearing a maid outfit, and at the other side of the room was a massive, buff man who sat on a chair, staring at me with something akin to sadness. Realising he was the man who first spoke about me not being able to live, I was surprised that there was no anger or contempt directed at me through his gaze.

The handsome man holding me let out a sigh, bringing my attention back to him, a strained smile on his face. The man turned his gaze back to my mother, his mouth going into a tight line. The buff man suddenly stood up, startling me. But the buff mans attention was all on the handsome man holding me.

"Come on Rohan, you can't seriously be thinking of letting the boy live?! I know the situation is pitiful, but his very existence could start a war!"

My smile completely faded at that. Just what body had I reincarnated into!? Was I really that important or influential that I could cause people to fight and lose their lives just because I was alive? I inwardly sighed, of course this life wasn't going to be easy. It seems that I don't just need to save the villain, I will also need to find out a way to save myself.

Rohan--the handsome man holding me--turned towards the tense buff man, his arms holding me securely against his broad chest. "I know the dangers of letting him live, but he's done absolutely nothing wrong. He's innocent." My like for Rohan skyrocketed, as he joined my mothers opinion of 'let the innocent newborn live'. My mother decided to pipe in at that moment, adding a quick "Please, Gero, it's my baby."

The buff man let out an exhausting sigh, his shoulders curving inwards at the tone of my mother. I couldn't blame him. My mothers tone in that moment sounded so heartbroken. Gero--the buff man--once again lifted his head, peering down at me from his enormous stature, asking a question that I myself wanted the answer to. "Then what are we going to do with him? If he's going to live, he can't stand out." My mothers eyes lit up as she earnestly nodded, most likely extremely thankful for the muscular mans cooperation. Rohan, who was still holding me, looked sadly at my mother, his mouth opening only too close, unsuccessfully getting any words out. I felt him take a deep breath, his eyes locking with my mothers. I could already tell whatever he was going to say most likely wasn't going to be good.

"I'll take him back with me to the Fleun Empire. There I and a few trusted others can raise him to be a servant of some sort. Completely out of view to anyone of importance."

My mother visibly stiffened at that. But understanding and helplessness lay in her eyes. Wordlessly, she reached out her arms, Rohan giving me to her without any complaint. The embrace my mother gave me this time was completely different then before. It was still warm and filled with love, but it gave me a sad feeling as well. Becoming uncomfortable with the mood, I giggled lightly, snuggling into my mothers chest. My mothers arms hesitantly loosened as she bent down and kissed my head, whispering that she was sorry and that she loved me. Realisation hit me like a brick. She was saying goodbye. Sadness flowed through me as I realised I wouldn't ever get to know this woman. In my last life, my mother had died after giving birth to me. That was a main reason my past father had hated me. But now I was going to be motherless once again, and my father was no where to be seen. Because I was sure that the two men who were in the room, were only friends of my mother or something along those lines.

I couldn't help the tears that welled up in my eyes and flowed down my face as I let out an ear-piercing cry that immediately got the attention of everyone in the crowded room. Suddenly everyone was surrounding the bed where my mother lay, trying to calm me down.

Finally, after tiring myself out, I fell asleep from exhaustion. I was after all, just a newborn baby who's small mind was bombarded with information. Although having the mind to stay awake in the last moments of being with my mother, I felt myself being picked up by familiar hands that I faintly recognised as Rohan's. The last thing that entered my mind was the small conversation of Rohan asking my mother an important question.

"What shall the boys name be?"

"Tylere..." Came my mothers faint reply.

After that everything went blank, as I fell into a deep sleep, knowing that even though I couldn't be with my mother, I still had what I had wanted most of my past life.

A second chance.