5. I still love him

On Sunday, Victoire arrived a bit later than usual for breakfast. She had stayed up late behind her four poster's curtains, reading muggle literature and sleeping in was inevitable. She could easily get caught into a story and forget the time. One second she's reading and the next, it's almost 3am.

The first thing she noticed when she walked in the great hall was how oddly quiet it was for a weekend morning. Although breakfast had started two hours ago, there were usually a lot more students. 

Victoire looked around, looking for a place to sit and spotted Daphne and Pansy seated in the middle of the Slytherin table. 

''At last you're up!'' Pansy pointed as she took a seat next to her. 

Victoire greeted both girls and grabbed a plate, filling it with some pancakes which she happily drowned in syrup and berries. Before her, Daphne shook her head at her friend's sugar overdose she called breakfast, but let her do her thing.

''Why is it so quiet in here?'' Victoire asked, stabbing a blueberry with her fork and bring it to her mouth.

Daphne and Pansy shared a look over the table which only added to Victoire's confusion. 

''Haven't you heard?'' Pansy said, being the bearer of gossip. She looked around and lowered her voice. ''Katie Bell was cursed during the Hogsmeade trip yesterday. Someone used the Imperius curse on her while at the Three Broomsticks and made her carry a cursed necklace back to the school. I heard she elevated into the air and screamed as if she was possessed, just like in those muggle horror movies.''

An horrified expression formed on Victoire's face, imagining the scene in her head. She didn't know Katie, but what happened to her sounded horrible - and terrifying. That necklace must've been very powerful. They had been taught about cursed objects during Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons. They could be very dangerous - and sometimes deadly

The person who gave it to Katie knew what they were doing. Their intentions were clear.

''Wow, that's dark.''

The girls agreed.

''We don't know exactly what happened, Dumbledore and McGonagall are trying to keep it quiet, stuff the incident, but Leanne - she was with Katie when it happened - said Katie left to go to the loo and when she came back, she had the package. She's been sent to St. Mungos for severe injuries,'' Pansy continued, repeating everything she knew. 

Victoire frowned. Stuff the incident? Why for? So the Ministry of Magic doesn't hear about it and send another spy to Hogwarts? Like Pansy said, it was an incident, no one could've prevented it. Unless something else was happening that the professors didn't want anyone to know about.

''A necklace, you said?'' Victoire asked, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. ''What did it look like?''

Pansy shrugged her shoulders. ''No idea.''

''Whoever made Katie carry that package must've wanted revenge,'' Daphne concluded.

Pansy agreed. ''Likely. But, from who?''

''Has Leanne said who the package was intended for?'' 

''No. She doesn't know. All Katie said was that she had to bring it to the castle and was pretty insistent to do so due to the Imperius curse.''

''I can't believe horrible things like that are happening. I used to think we were safe at Hogwarts...'' The blonde sighed and took the last of her pumpkin juice before standing, having enough of those worrying talks. ''I gotta go. I have a study date.''