Chapter 1- Chance of a Lifetime

Amity was always the type to have a plan. Not always one to make them, but nevertheless she had a path in life she was set to follow, no matter what. But in recent months, her life had been thrown headfirst into disarray by the arrival of the human girl, Luz. Suddenly, the plan she had followed all her life was being challenged, and all Amity wanted to see in her future was this strange girl. She thought she could just ignore these feelings and stick to the path laid out for her in spite of them, but her loyalties would be pushed to their breaking point one late summer afternoon.

It was another school day. Walk to class with Luz, Willow, and Gus, breeze through classes, ace tests, all according to routine. She rather liked this routine; despite the boredom one would expect from doing the same things everyday, she felt a sense of security in it, especially when it included time with Luz. No matter how little the day-to-day activities changed, Luz always had some new adventure or idea to share to make the day a little bit more exciting. She was her light spell— an intensely captivating little ball of light in an otherwise dull environment. This, figured Amity, was paradise. She never wanted things to change.

But during her 5th period Abomination Theory class, a knock on the classroom door disrupted her tranquil study. "Amity Blight, Principal Bump requires you in his office. He has a surprise for you!" the secretary was almost giddy, and Amity had the sudden impression that something very sinister was up. And it probably had something to do with her mother.

After the resignation and subsequent outlaw status of Lilith Clawthorne, her highly coveted role in the Emperor's Coven became up for grabs. After about a week, it was announced that Odalia Blight, Amity's mother, was selected for the position. At first, Amity enjoyed the increase in time away from her. However, it soon became clear that this meant a bigger pressure for Amity to join the ranks of the coven, not just from Odalia herself, but now from everyone around her expecting her to not just join the coven but take up the role of Coven Head when her mother is no longer fit. On the walk down the halls of Hexside to Principal Bump's office, Amity's stomach turned thinking what her mother could have planned for her now.

The secretary led her to Bump's office, and Amity let out a small sigh of relief when she saw her mother was not in the room. The principal motioned her to sit, and she nervously made her way to the chair across from his desk.

"I have some exciting news for you, Amity," started Principal Bump, grinning with pride. "Your mother has made some arrangements for you to audition for the Emperor's Coven early!"

"What?" Amity's heart fell to her stomach. She wasn't surprised her mother would do something like this, but so soon? She was only a freshman, and not to mention not especially skilled, still needing a training wand. Even the most skilled witchlings don't get the chance to join a coven early until their junior year. Then again, with her mom as the head of the coven, of course she would try to secure her spot as soon as possible. But why now?

Principal Bump continued, "I was a little shocked myself to hear the news, but seeing your progress myself I suppose it's only natural for you to join a coven early. Why this early, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm proud of you Miss Blight." He handed her an orderly brown packet containing a multitude of forms, which a pale-faced Amity cautiously took. "The paperwork is naturally already filled out. All you need to do is be at the Emperor's Coven by five o'clock tonight with a few spells prepared."

Amity stumbled to find words amidst the thoughts swirling in her brain, and eventually mumbled, "Thank you, Principal Bump. I'll be there." She shakily stood up to leave, her eyes glued to the packet.

"Good luck," called Bump as Amity left his office in a daze. "This is the chance of a lifetime, Amity, I hope you choose to take it."

...