02|M o n o m e r

Monomer
/ˈmɒnəmə/
Noun| A monomer is a molecule that forms the basic unit for polymers, which are the building blocks of life

Athena:

My mornings were practically ritualistic, beginning the same each day.

Just after six in the morning, I would go for my morning run at the local park. Watching the park come to life around me was easily my favorite part of the day. Small animals would scatter for shelter, vendors would begin setting up their stalls chattering amongst themselves in stereotypically thick New York accents, and the sun would start to peak over the horizon.
By the time I rounded the corner of the apartment complex, I'd be thoroughly winded from the run.

Before heading back home, I always stopped by Mrs. Cartier's cozy coffee shop. The comforting scent of roasted coffee beans bombarded my senses each time I entered the little shop. Conveniently nestled next to the complex, it became my home away from home.
It was a terrible habit of ours to get our morning drinks from the coffee shop when we could just invest in a coffee machine, but nothing could beat Mrs. Cartier's homemade pain au chocolats. Simple yet decadent, the ultra-thin buttery layers would just melt away in your mouth to reveal the most delicious semi-bitter chocolate filling that paired unbelievably well with the generous dusting of powdered sugar covering the croissant. Biting into one of her crispy treats was the closest to heaven I've ever experienced, so it became a part of our normal routine to pass by the little coffee shop.

Catching my breath, I would wave a quick hello to Mrs. Cartier herself. She would smile at me warmly and ask me about my plans for the day, all while preparing the order.

After, she would hand me a carton box filled with pain au chocolat and a carrier with drinks for me and the girls.

Having made my way back to the apartment, I would set their drinks on the counter and then go for a shower. By the time I returned to the kitchen, like clockwork, both the cups would be empty.

Today was no different, except when I made it back to the apartment, both of the girls, although very hungover, were sitting at the breakfast bar.

Setting the breakfast containers onto the bar, I turned around to refill my water bottle, which had run precariously low after my jog. Before I could finish, I heard Liv clear her throat.

"So, are you going to tell us what you and that guy were talking about last night?" She asked, curiosity in her eyes.

"Nothing! He was in my biology class freshman year. I guess he thought I would recognize him. It's crazy to think he'd still remember me- it was so long ago. He said I looked lonely and wanted to keep me company, but I kind of knew he had other plans, so as soon as he suggested we go inside, I left." I casually replied, shrugging, and took a sip of my piping hot drink.

"Why did you leave? You could have hooked up with him," she asked. Sometimes I wonder what goes on inside Livs head, and then she asks me stupid things like that, and it makes sense as to why I don't want to know.

"Liv, you know Thena doesn't do that," Haven replied before I had the chance.

"You want to know something, Liv?" I asked.

She eagerly nodded her head in response as she bit into the pastry in her hand.

"He said we were in biology together, but for some reason, I can't remember seeing him before."

"You do know you were talking to Cameron Reid, as in The Cameron Reid, Soccer team captain." She said.

I shook my head as I took a sip of my mocha, which had cooled down.