Chapter 1: Invisible Stakes

There were so many humans to choose from.

The night rolls in over Anderridge, bringing with it the pleasant absence of the sunlight. From the rooftop, Dream could see the mass of people in the town square blanketed in navy darkness, the only sounds in the heavy air was the fading melody from a gramophone, nightly chatter and distant rustling of leaves of the surrounding forest.

He runs his tongue over his fangs, taking in the nearing scent of distant human blood. His fingers twitch with anticipation.

Dream stood crouching behind a chimney, the worn brick rough under his fingertips. Even from this far, he could smell it. The promise of human blood, something he had been waiting to pursue for his entire life. It was finally the night he would take it. The simple thought of sinking his teeth into any one of the mortals in the town below made his pulse flare and stomach twist eagerly.

A warm breeze flicks a blond strand over his right eye, and he haphazardly brushes it back. He takes an opportunity to glance down at his attire once more, and decides to button up his burgundy undershirt completely. His stolen vest and dress pants all were shades of brown and red with golden buttons, it would easily make him appear wealthy. Presentable, attractive. He'd have no problem luring someone, everything was perfect.

It was too bad he wouldn't be able to show his face, people would be able to tell too quickly by his teeth what his intentions were at the town square party. But that's why this party was just what he needed - a masquerade party.

While the silly, lopsided smiley face on a plastic white circle looked ridiculous, it was the best he could manage. It was friendly looking enough for people to fall for it. He wouldn't need too much time to fully convince someone to trust him, anyways. He'd practiced, over and over, predicting what they would say, how he would respond and get into their head, convincing them that he had their best interest in mind. By the time anyone would realize his plans, the blood will already be spilled.

Dream leans over the edge of the roof, thankful that he was too high up for anyone to see him. It was a good vantage point, especially for picking his prey.

So, which one did he want?

His eyes scan the area, searching for a gullible someone that would be vulnerable to his charm.

Most that came to the weekly night gathering were young adults, healthy and bodies rich with the best tasting blood, so he had heard.

A dark haired boy walks into a group of what Dream presumed were his friends - too risky. Friends meant witnesses.

Dream turns his attention to a classily dressed blonde, her hair reached halfway down her back and draped over the sides of her neck - too difficult to bite.

As a gathering of people part, one brunet behind them stands out to Dream in particular, seated at a bar by his lonesome. He's dressed in a deep blue victorian coat. Short but fluffy hair, smooth pale skin. Promising. He seems to be contemplating what to order, drumming his delicate fingers on the bar table.

Dream considers to continue looking, but his eyes remain on the brunet. He keeps looking at him, longer. His neck was exposed above his navy blue coat collar, vulnerable, he looked to have a smaller stature, easier to avoid struggle. It would be fast, easy.

Not to mention, the guy happened to be kind of cute. Just a bonus.

Dream stands. He'd be the one.

The edges of Dream's dark coat are pulled to fit closely around his figure. He combs his hair back with the brush of a hand, only to decide against it and ruffle it up again. He pulls the leather strap on either side of the mask up to his face and pulls the metal buckle tight. It presses on his nose slightly as he adjusts it to be more comfortable. It nearly perfectly covers the entirety of his features, most importantly, his mouth and teeth.