Streets of Paris

MILLICENT: 20 years old

Papa and I walk together in the streets every day while he does his rounds. He doesn't like having me home alone.

A few years ago, we got word that my mother had passed. As much as we hated her, we decided we should go back for the funeral. Both of us. It was a simple funeral and Enjolras and Marguerite were there and paid their respects. I really appreciated having them both there with me even though I wasn't able to make it to their mother's funeral.

Papa and I were so overwhelmed with getting my new living arrangements in order, avoiding any mail from the hospital sent by my mother, that we didn't even hear news of their mother's death until months later when one of the servants opened all of the letters we sent to be burned.

I feel so awful and guilty that I let my resentment towards my own mother get in the way of supporting my friends and I try and make it up to them every day.

Papa and I rarely talk on our walks. We don't have much to talk about in the first place and he doesn't like being distracted while on the job.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a small blonde child steal an apple and put it in his pocket. I guess he doesn't notice my father around so he wasn't being careful about hiding.

Papa was just about to turn and see the young boy. I knew that if he caught the child, the child would be instant prison or at least a public beating. I couldn't let that happen to such a young innocent child. I had to act fast.

I purposely stepped on one of my bootlaces and flung myself on the street trying to draw as much attention to myself as possible. Papa instantly whipped his body around to see what had happened to me. He looked kneeled down help me.

"What happened, my girl? Did someone hurt you?" He asked in a frantic.

The little boy heard my papas voice and bolted away. My plan was successful.

"No one hurt me, papa. I just tripped over my bootlace," I responded reassuring that no one was at fault other than myself. He ties my boot for me tightly and tucks the leftover laces inside my boot the prevent me from stepping on them again. Then he helps me up. He takes out his his pocket watch and is startled by the time which surprises me. We never have anywhere that we are supposed to be on a weekday.

"My goodness, we're going to be late!" He shouts. He takes my hand and starts speed walking through the city all while dragging me behind him.

We arrive at a house that I've seen before. It's a general's house. A friend of my father's. General Lamarque I do believe his name is. I start to panic because I know Enjolras said last night that he was going to have a meeting with the General today. What if papa found out and is coming to arrest him? He knocks on the door?

"Why are we seeing the General today, papa?" I ask with my voice shaking from fear. He doesn't seem to notice my tone.

"We're not here to see the General. We're here to see his wife," he responds. The door opens and an older woman answers it.

"Inspector Javert. Millicent. Right on time. Come in. Come in," the lady says enthusiastically.

We step inside and she shuts the door behind us. I take off my bonnet.

"Madame Lamarque. Thank you for having us," papa says to the lady while shaking her hand. He seems really nervous. I've never seen papa so nervous.

The lady looks me up and down analyzing me. I feel very uncomfortable. I look over to papa for an explanation but his whole posture has changed and he's looking down at the floor and sweating. His shoulders are tense and up to his ears as if he's trying to retreat his body is to his clothes as to escape.