XXI. Fear and Conflicts

...
'Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days.'
...

         I lie motionless in bed, staring at the red curtains hanging from my bedpost. There's a light tap on the window. I turn my head and see a brawny brown owl sitting by the window outside. In its beak, it holds an envelope. I open the window, taking the envelope out of the owl's mouth. He coos and then flies off into the sky. Never seen that owl before. "Why did that owl deliver the mail here instead of the Owlery?" Parvati asks. I shrug and look down at the envelope. My heart stops. I've seen this before. I take a deep breath and rip open the envelope, pulling out the letter as my hands shake. 

"Your parents' fate was inevitable, but you still have so much potential.

 I'm going to give you another chance to take time and think about my offer. 

I'm sure you already know who I am by now. If I don't hear from you by Friday night, I'll know what side you've chosen. 

I hope you make the right choice. 

-M" 

"Is everything alright, Ellie?" Hermione asks concerned. I sigh, closing my eyes. It's all happening so soon. I open my eyes looking down at the letter again. I grab my wand and head towards the door with the letter in my hand. "Where are you going? It's already past 10!" Lavender shouts as I walk out the door. "Ellie! Bloody hell. Is she out of her mind?!" I continue to walk down the stairs. The common room is empty. Thank Merlin, Percy isn't here. Quietly, I sneak out of the portrait hole and head towards the grand stairs. The castle is quiet. I walk to the giant gargoyle that stands outside of Professor Dumbledore's office. Password? What's the password? I pace back and forth trying to remember what the password is. "Sherbet lemon," I say, but the statue doesn't move. I groan and start pacing again. Uh, this is hopeless... My vision must be connected to this letter. Either way if I join him or don't, the truth is already going to be known. 

"Ellie? What are you doing out of your dormitory at this hour?" Uncle Severus' voice comes from behind me. I sigh in relief. Turning around, I find myself facing Uncle Severus, Professor Dumbledore, Professor Lupin and Professor McGonagall. "Professors," I say. "Miss Bane, you do know you're not supposed to be out at this hour?" Professor McGonagall asks me. "I'm sure she had a reason. Since she came to Professor Dumbledore's office," Professor Lupin says, pointing to the gargoyle. Professor Dumbledore watches me carefully. "What is it, Ellie?" He asks me. I slowly lift up the letter in my hand. "I don't know what to do," I say quietly. Uncle Severus takes the letter out of my hand and reads it quietly. He sighs frustrated, handing the letter to Professor Dumbledore. "What is it, Albus?" Professor McGonagall asks him. Professor Dumbledore finishes reading and looks up at me. "Minerva, Remus, I'll inform you when the time comes. As for right now, I would like to speak with Ellie in my office." "Of course headmaster," Professor Lupin replies. "Cockroach Clusters." The gargoyle steps aside as a spiral staircase appears. Professor Dumbledore walks up the stairs with Uncle Severus and I following. 

We enter into his office. He places the letter on his table. "What was the offer?" Professor Dumbledore asks as he turns to me. "To join him. He wanted to raise me from now on. He said there is so much more I could do. He made it sound like he was going to teach me more," I tell him. "Sir, I know Nott. There is no way he will expose her. He just wants her to be on his side-- on their side," Uncle Severus says to Professor Dumbledore. "Well there's something else," I say quietly. The two of them look at me. "After dinner, I saw something-- a vision. The Minister was talking to Professor Dumbledore.. H-he said I should be locked up," I say. Tears fill my eyes and I bite the side of my mouth to keep myself from crying. "They're going to find out," I say, my voice shaking this time. Professor Dumbledore and Uncle Severus turn to each other. "Do you know how?" Professor Dumbledore asks. I shake my head no as tears run down my cheeks.