chapter one.

A ROUGH MORNING◦ *˳༄ ❨ chapter i

A ROUGH MORNING
◦ *˳༄ ❨ chapter i. ❩ ━━━━ February, 2003

◦ *˳ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ˳* ◦

    EVERY time someone peered into the Auror Office on the dull, gray Monday morning our story starts, it was to find the department unusually stagnant. Normally, the floor would be teeming with Aurors bustling about from one cubicle to another, discussing theories and barking orders; the fireplaces lining the far left side of the office would be flaring up frequently as the Aurors flew in and out of the Ministry, chasing down a runaway Death Eater, or else hurrying off to investigate a new crime scene or ten.

    Nearly five years had passed since the end of the Second Wizarding War, and the Aurors were still cleaning up after the devastation that had been unleashed upon their world by Lord Voldemort and his followers. And this fact in itself meant that there never was a moment of quiet within the famed Auror Office.

    And yet, the morning of February the 3rd had, surprisingly enough, dawned rather boring for a change. At least, it had been boring until —

    "POTTER!"

    The young man, snoozing over a pile over paperwork as he was, started, causing his elbow to knock over a cup of stale coffee. Swearing under his breath, he vanished the spilt coffee with a wave of his wand and glanced around. Confused green eyes met amused blue ones as a voice bellowed from the other end of the room, "IN HERE."

    The idle chatter buzzing around the Auror Office died almost instantaneously. Several heads poked around the gray cubicles that littered the office, curiosity thick in the air as the young Auror clambered to his feet. Annoyed, he thought the rest of them should've had something better to do — catching dark wizards or hunting down missing people, for instance — than gleaning amusement from the possibility of their fellow Auror being berated by the Head Auror.

    Perhaps the simpler explanation was that because the day had been so slow, everyone was now intrigued by something as ordinary as an Auror having evoked the wrath of the Head Auror, who was well known for his incendiary temper.