Ten.

It was the beginning of December when Gen finally knew she wasn't going to go to the ball with Fred. Ron and Harry had made up after the First Task, and I could hear Ron going on about how hard it was for him to find a date, Fred said it wasn't that hard and he was being a baby. Ron asked who he was going with, and Fred replied with Angelina's name.

"Angelina? You've asked her?" Asked Ron, sounding in disbelief. 

"Oh yeah, I should probably do that," said Fred, "Oi! Angelina!" He shouted across the Common Room, Angelina looked at him. "You want to go to the ball with me?"

Angelina shrugged and said yes.

I watched Gen's face fall into a look of sadness. She went upstairs. I waited a minute and then I followed her. She was very upset when I entered our dorm. "I am so stupid to think that he was actually going to ask me to the ball. Why would he, when she's right there. She didn't even seem happy about it. She just shrugged and said sure. She doesn't deserve him. She's so unappreciative."

I sit next to her, "Maybe the ball will help him figure that out. You never know. He might think that he's going to have a great time with her but they could end up having a terrible time together and he'll realize that he should have taken you instead."

"Yeah, a girl can wish."

"If it makes you feel any better, George still hasn't asked me. And I'm starting to lose hope that he will. He said he needed time to sort out how he feels about me but he's taking forever. We kissed in July, it's December now. If he doesn't know by now I don't think he ever will. I'm starting to think that he's just thinking of a way to tell me that he doesn't like me anymore."

"Sorry but that does make me feel a little bit better," she admits. "At least I'm not the only one in pain over a Weasley twin."

I actually laugh at that. "We can eat ice cream and cry together, sound good?"

She nods, smiling, and then she hugs me, "Thank you, Daisy."

"No problem," I tell her. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, I just need a night to be upset and then I'll get over it."

"Do you want me to stay with you?" 

"No," she says shaking her head, "You go finish your homework. I'll be fine."

"Alright, I'll be right in the Common Room if you need me."

I exited the dorm then, heading back to the Common Room. I sat by myself by the fireplace. I caught the end of a conversation that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were having about dates to the Yule Ball. Ron tried to get Ginny to go to the ball with Harry and Hermione should go with Ron, but Ginny said that she was going with Neville and Hermione said she had a date but she wouldn't tell them who she was going with.

"This ball is driving everyone crazy," said a voice that I knew pretty well. I felt a dip in the couch and saw that George was sitting next to me.

"Yeah," I agree, "It really is making people nuts."

"Is there anyone in particular that you'd like to go with?"

"There is one guy I've been hoping would ask me," I admit, "but he hasn't yet."

"Who is it?" He asks, sounding interested.

I give him a confused look, "Really? You don't know who it is?" He is confused now. I laugh. "Oh you simple minded boy. You, silly. It's you who I want to go with."

"Oh," he says as the realization comes over him. "You really want to go with me?"

"Yeah," I admit, "Why wouldn't I? Of course."

"I don't know," he admits, "You don't think that you can do better than me?"

"What?" I ask, closing my book and sitting forward. "You don't think that you're good enough for me."

"I mean," she shrugs, leaning back, "I just haven't been treating you the best lately. I'm not the best communicator. You sure you want to deal with that? You should be holding out for someone better."

"You have been genuine with me since I've known you. You got scared and made a mistake. So what? Feelings can be intimidating. I forgave you. And you're 16, I'm not exactly expecting you to be a master communicator, George. That's crazy. I like you for you. If you can't see that by now I don't think you ever will."

He smiles, it was that, sly smirk I've grown to find very attractive. "Daisy, will you go to the Yule Ball with me?"

"I don't know," I say, totally just teasing him, "I'll have to think about it." We both laugh, and after a moment of good laughter, I say, "Yes, George, I would love to go to the Yule Ball with you."

"Thank you," he says and he gives me a hug.

"Thank you for asking me," I told him as we hugged.

I decided not to tell Gen that night. She was upset enough so I didn't want to add to it. But I did tell her the next day. She was very happy to hear that George finally asked me to the ball. She was glad that one of us gets to go with the guy we wanted to go with. She was asked to the ball by a Ravenclaw boy in our year that day, so she wasn't completely dateless to the ball.

December went by slowly, I think because we were waiting for Christmas so we could go to the ball. When it finally got here, us girls were all very excited. Genevieve curled my hair for me and did my make-up. I left my hair down, letting my dark brunette curls fall where they wanted to.

My dress was light blue, v-neck, made of tulle and with a lace bodice. It was absolutely stunning and I fell in love with it right when I saw it. I had to get it. The skirt flowed when I twirled around in it. That was honestly the cherry on top.