Two

CHAPTER TWO

There were two things I was certain of by the time our entrees had arrived. 

1) Henry was being too nice 

2) I loathed him.

In fact, it took every ounce of me not to fling my oyster at him - he was being too polite. He didn't even seem phased when I kicked off our impromptu interview by avoiding any, and all, questions about myself. 

Instead, I complimented the restaurant and how nice it was of the manager to sit us at the chef's table - a private space in the kitchen where we could watch our food being prepared. A privilege of dining with Emily Margot, no doubt. 

I'd only eaten where normal people sat, but now I wondered if I could ever go back. I loved the cosy yet fine dining atmosphere at Louisa's - the mood lighting, candlelight, and soft music - but this, this was something else. I was in the engine room of one of London's hottest new restaurants. 

This was how the other side lived. I didn't dare ask how much the chef's table cost at a restaurant like Louisa's. 

I sipped at my chilled water, willing it to ease the knot in my stomach. Emily sat opposite me, while Henry sat beside her. 

My own personal hell. 

When I'd told Cameron that Henry Copeland from The Herald wanted to chat to me about Sunshine, he'd all but pushed me back into the elevator. He didn't even care that he was missing out on dinner at Louisa's, which he had booked three months ago for us to celebrate locking in Ladybug, a women's healthcare brand that was all the rage right now. 

'Take the bloody booking. Dinner's on me for all I care - just make it worth it. Please.' Cam said, as he rode down in the lift with me. He then proceeded to recite every single talking point about Sunshine he could fit in the space of that elevator ride. 

I'd begged him to come, but he insisted it was my time to shine. 

'Thank you again for this interview,' Henry said, pulling me back to the present. He was squeezing some lemon juice over an oyster. I knew he was trying to get us back on track, but I wasn't going to make it easy for him... no matter what I'd promise Cam. Henry's phone, which he had placed on the table between us, was paused on the two-minute mark. 

'Don't mention it.' I put my glass down. 'Any friend of Emily's is a friend of mine.' I had no idea where that came from and I wanted to kick myself for it. Who said that? Only people who were clearly rattled. 

I risked a glance at Emily just in time to see the smile fade from her lips. 

She was enjoying this!

'So,' I started and tried to appear as neutral as I could. 'How long have you two... known each other?' I leaned forward as I said this, resting my forearms on the table. 

I didn't want to know... but I also wanted to know. 

Did he make her laugh as much as I used to? 

Henry sat back and rested one arm on the back of Emily's seat. They exchanged a warm glance before turning to me at the same time. 'Almost a year, I'd say,' he answered. 

God. 

'Lovely.' 

I should've flung an oyster at him. 

I forced myself to look away from the couple, and to the kitchen to our right. None of the chefs paid any attention to us as they moved in sync with each other. Every so often, a couple of tickets would come through and the head chef would bark orders at everyone.