PROLOGUE

"Eugene!"

The voice startled the creature. It rose its head, an eerie grin spreading across what was left of its warped black features.

"Boss." The monster chuckled, narrowing its glowing milky white eyes. "Look who's here."

Boss stood in the doorway, his eyes darting to the still figure lying lifeless behind the monster. He turned his head, his gaze meeting the eyes of a terrified, monster-like ghost attempting to blend in with the shadows, scissors clutched in her long fingers. Eugene's accomplice.

Finally, his eyes met the creatures-Eugene's-own.

The eyes of one who had once been an innocent child.

"...You...you..." Was all he could muster out.

From behind Boss came a willowy ghost. Most of her body was shadows, her long hair a wavy mix of white and black.

"Eugene...you killed him?" She stared at the corpse on the ground, her face a mixture of pure disbelief and horror.

The monster's gaze turned towards Boss. "I did as you said." The creature snarled, his words dripping with venom and his large, white eyes flashing. "Conflicts between mortals must be solved between mortals."

Boss's eyes narrowed, his jaw set. "I did not mean it that way."

"I don't care what you meant anymore." The creature laughed, gathering the shadows of the dark room towards itself.

"Eugene, don't you see what you've become?" The female ghost hissed, anger concealing her grief and fear. Her gaze turned towards Boss.

What are you going to do?

Boss turned his head to peer again at the monster-like ghost cowering in the corner. Her colors had been long since swallowed by the darkness of hate, regret and misdeeds. She had been silent this entire time, her eyes reflecting fear and hate.

She had helped Eugene do this...this terrible deed.

"...River, take this monster out and get rid of her." Boss pursed his lips, his fan molding from the shadows and forming in his fist. "...I'll take care of this monster."

"Boss...!" River stared at him, her eyes pleading.

Boss gritted his teeth. "Get out!!"

She shouldn't have to see this.

River blinked, tears streaming down her face as she dragged the struggling monster-like ghost from the room.

"Monster?" The creature scoffed. "I'm not a monster-I killed what deserved to be killed."

"You...still do not understand?"

"I'M NOT A MONSTER LOOK AT THE GHOST YOU DRAGGED FROM THE ROOM AND THE MAN THAT KILLED HIS WIFE I'M NOT A MONSTER I DID NOTHING WRONG." The creature's tone dropped. "I'm not a monster. He-he deserved to die."

"You are a monster."

"Boss! I didn't do anything wr-"

"I, as well, am no different as I helped make you this way," Boss said quietly, rising his head to meet the creatures cold white eyes. A shell of the child it used to be. "You are my sin."

The monster dove at him, the shadows extending their claws of ice toward his figure, prepared to wrap themselves around his neck. Swallow him whole.

Boss clenched his fists, the fan ready. The end of it sharp-deadly to a being such as this corrupted mortal. This monster.

The creature neared Boss, a snarling grin of triumph dripping from its inky black features.

And Boss swung his arm forward-teeth clenched, a single tear escaping his closed eyes as the weapon met its target.