Prologue: The Rampage

Underneath the trees kissed with cherry blossoms, the students of Lelanie's School for Diverse Girls gathered according to post-ceremony customs.

A light breeze caressed the branches of the laurel trees situated around the stage, causing them to sway gently. The dais was set for a perfect Choosing Ceremony, perhaps a good omen to begin the day.

Sereia could hardly contain her excitement as both of the headmistresses began sharing speeches to the attentive audience.

"Welcome girls. On this early spring morning, we welcome three of our students who participated in this year's Choosing Ceremony to the stage. Please, come forward, my dears," Arya, the first headmistress said as she stretched beckoning arms towards the podium, where the aforementioned girls were anxiously waiting.

The three teenagers, tense as ever, stood from their seats and made their way towards the headmistresses; they knew the way by heart.

Without further delay, the headmistresses called the first girl to the platform, and she eagerly complied.

The young woman was wearing an icy blue robe, one which seemed to be sparkling like the morning dew. The light radiating from the robes shone softly in some places, the small flashes of white matching the platinum streak in her otherwise ginger hair, flaunting deep shades of garnet.

"Today, you are of the Xiaran clan. You, dear girl are a Mirror-Finder, and you will use your abilities of foreseeing the future to relay information to those who need it the most. Use your loyalty and dependability to your advantage and go in grace."

The girl stepped forward, her eyes gleaming with excitement. She bowed her head and stretched out her palms to accept the Xiaran broach. The small symbol of familial bond sat heavy in her hands, a mirror-like watery sheen glimmering over the crest that resembled a river.

With a big grin, the girl sat next to the Xiaran ambassador, her moment of glory over almost instantaneously.

Nevertheless, it felt like eternity to the girl who had waited for this moment ever since she entered the school's border when she was eleven.

The headmistresses continued with the remaining two girls, and Sereia could only watch in silent rapture.

In five years, it will finally be my turn! she thought.

After staying a few more years at the castle-like boarding school, she would also become one of the Chosen. After she reached the sixteenth year of her life, Sereia would be able to participate in that years' Ceremony.

Honored amongst the society, each girl's special skills would endear them to an artifact of one of the five clans. It was said that on the twentieth of May, each girl of sixteen would be Chosen by one of these sacred artifacts. Then, they embarked on a pilgrimage across the land, their final destination being their new clan.

And Sereia could not wait for her time. Year after year, she saw each new crop of women go off into the world, leaving her behind.

But for her, it was worse that just five years of waiting. She had been watching from the sidelines since the very beginning, having been adopted by the same Headmistresses handing out crests.

Or so she was told.

"Come, and wish us well as you travel to your new home." 

As the last girl stepped forward to accept the crest of the Celidon warriors, a thunderous boom was heard from the sky above them.

A dust cloud billowed about, announcing the arrival of a large beast. The ground quaked and trembled greatly beneath the heavy paws and beating wings of a mighty beast.