Chapter 5

I follow Cecile to Sara’s room. When I arrive I see Sara sitting on her bed. Her sisters sit on the ground. Sara sobs loudly. She removes her hand and I see the infection. I kneel in front of her and say; ‘’I’m sorry Sara, I really wanted to help you.’’ She doesn’t seem to notice me. I swirl around and face Cecile. ‘’Back in the hallway you were looking for something, did you find it?’’

‘’No I was escorting you to her room.’’

‘’What were you looking for?’’

She shrugs. ‘’Something that could prevent the infection from getting worse.’’

‘’Antibiotics,’’ I say.

Clearly Cecile doesn’t know much about medical stuff.

I shove past her and run down the stairs. Deep inside I know where to find the antibiotics. I just can’t bring up the courage to go inside. A scream. Sara. I look around me, my pulse speeding up. Then I glance at the door behind which I will find those antibiotics.

The door to Miss Moreau’s room.

We’re not allowed to go in but, right now I didn’t really have a choice right?

I take a deep breath and walk to the big wooden door. Of course this side of the hallway is completely cleaned up and renovated. A bunch of dead flowers stand in a vase next to the door. I carefully touch them. They once were beautiful roses.

‘’Orphanage roses.’’

I smile at the thought. But not for long. As soon as I realize why I’m here again the smile instantly fades away. I raise my hand to knock and notice I am shaking.

Knock-knock-knock

The sound echoes through the long hallway. I feel incredibly uncomfortable but force myself to keep focusing on the door in front of me.

The door opens slowly. I hear a high squeaking noise and a slink hand appears. Then a full body stands in the doorway. ‘’What is it you’re here for miss?’’ the girl asks. She smiles a little but the smile does not reach her eyes. ‘’I need to speak to Miss Moreau,’’ I say, barely able to keep my voice from shuddering. The girl nods and steps back. Hesitantly I close the door behind me.

‘’Hello darling.’’

The voice sweet as honey makes me gag. There she sits, in her big majestic armchair which is probably more comfortable than our beds. The room is filled with gold stuff, from golden statues to golden decorations around the huge self-portrait that hangs on the wall behind Miss Moreau.

Of course, it was all fake.

‘’What did you want to talk about?’’ Miss Moreau looks at me with her green eyes.

‘’I nee- we need some a-antibiotics,’’ I stutter. I feel so vulnerable. But I need to be strong.

I need to be strong for Sara.

‘’And what would you need those antibiotics for? I surely hope it is not for your little friend is it?’’ Her voice may sound sweet but her eyes look angry.

Angry and sadistic.

‘’Well her wound i-its infected and if we don’t get those antibiotics in time she might die.’’ My voice becomes harder at every word.

‘’SO JUST GIVE ME THOSE ANTIBIOTICS NOW!’’

I shouldn’t have done that.

No I certainly shouldn’t.