2/5

You were still looking at the ceiling in silence, and so was Daryl. The only change had been when Carol had come to bring you both dinner. She had also told Daryl that he was a good man, kissed his forehead even, as if she weren't afraid of him snapping. It made Daryl awkward, but you also though he was moved, more than what you could have thought. You had said nothing, hadn't looked at him, trying not to make him even more awkward, but you were starting to get bored.

"Do you want me to turn off the light?" You asked.

"I don't care."

"We should sleep." You decided to turn it off, maybe in the darkness you'd feel less awkward. You could hope.... At the very least, you knew you had to sleep, and so you began to wiggle, trying to get comfortable without your ankle and tailbone hurting too much. While you moved, you bumped Daryl's bare feet with yours without meaning too.

"Shit, woman!"

"I'm sorry!" You pulled away quickly, hoping he wouldn't freak out.

"You have ice in your feet or what?" Oh...so that was the reason why he'd yelped, not just you touching him.

"No...or maybe yes, I don't know." You chuckled awkwardly. "They are always cold, sometimes in winter they're so cold that they hurt." You explained while you rubbed your feet together, trying to warm them. "Told you, I'm always cold..." It was a bit embarrassing. While camping outside, you slept inside your sleeping bag and also with a thin blanket covering you, no matter it was still summer.

"Want me to get you a blanket or something?" Daryl offered, and even though he sounded awkward, it surprised you in a good way.

"No...no, thanks, you shouldn't move and I'm good with the duvet."

"Okay..." You heard him moving as if trying to find a comfortable position to sleep, and you did the same, closing your eyes and trying to sleep.

*

You woke up in pain in the middle of the night when your bad ankle got caught in the sheet. You were about to curse aloud and kick the sheet with your good foot when you remembered that Daryl was sleeping next to you. You stopped moving, hoping you hadn't awaken him up, but you heard his steady breath.

You couldn't help but notice the warmth radiating from him. Damn, wasn't it tempting to crawl closer to it...You weren't really cold, but when you woke up at night, you were always a bit chilly, and Daryl's warmth was luring you close. Besides, it felt comforting too... But you were sure Daryl'd freak out if he woke up with you curled up to him, or even just too close to him.

Still, as you tried to sleep, his warmth was just too tempting, and you couldn't help yourself from scooting closer. You didn't touch him, though, you weren't crazy, and you left space between you two, but you were close enough so the body heat that he was emanating would warm you, and between that, the comfort that it brought, and the sound of his steady breath, soon you had fallen back asleep.

The next time you woke up was to Daryl grunting in pain as he moved, waking up. You realized that you had rolled onto your side and you were facing him, since he was sleeping on his good side. You weren't touching him, but you were close, and you didn't know if he was going to be angry or not, but it was awkward anyway, and so you closed your eyes before he opened his, trying to pretend that you were still asleep. Maybe he'd think you had rolled closer while you slept.

You felt Daryl tensing and you knew he had noticed how close you were. You thought he might wake you up, or even just push you away, but he didn't. You wondered if maybe he wanted to let you sleep, or maybe he was afraid of hurting you if he pushed you to your side? It'd be actually pretty nice from him. Still, you could feel him all stiff, and awkward, and almost not breathing, and you took pity, forcing yourself to roll away from his warmth, pretending to be waking up now.