chapter 9

Ahch-To comes into sight below the ship, a planet covered in ocean spare a few lush, green islands

Ahch-To comes into sight below the ship, a planet covered in ocean spare a few lush, green islands. Waves break against the rocks sending spray and foam across the fields and forests, coating everything in a fine layer of sea salt. They see the great peak of the Temple—the first that was ever built—rise among the foliage like a shell poking out of the sand.

This place is full of energy. It should comfort Circe, to feel soaked in the Force and to be so close to one of the birth places of the Jedi, but it does not. She stands at the front of the ship, her arms crossed over her chest so that she can tighten her fists without anyone noticing.

It's just one night, she tells herself. Just one night on the island, distracted by the Temple and the fifteen children they're watching, and then she can go back to Coruscant and object to the Clones at her side.

She knows that Anakin will try to fight her when she does, but she doesn't care. The Council will take her side, and she will be rid of the aid that he so clearly thinks she needs.

Behind her, Obi-Wan prepares everyone to land. He eyes Circe and Anakin uneasily, standing on opposite ends of the room, both hardened like metal. His former Padawan is full of turmoil, his eyes lowered to the ground in resignation. Circe's face is cold and stern like steel, and she holds her head proudly, just to spite him.

"Everyone to their seats," He says, turning his attention back to the children around him.

The landing is a bit shaky, as the winds of the sea crash against the ship, but everyone is eager to get their feet onto solid ground.

Anakin watches the Younglings exit as a group, and waits for Circe in the doorway, but she pushes past him and begins telling the children which direction to start. The interaction stings, for both of them, but Anakin the most. He feels lonely, taking the back of the group, and the grey skies and tumbling water that surrounds them only worsens his mood.

The earth beneath them is soaked with rain and sea, and it seems to melt underneath their feet. It is difficult to take even one step, let alone hike down the ravine that will lead them to the Temple. The children exclaim and groan as they walk, their tiny heads drowning in the hoods of their coats, their bags sagging in the rain. Each step gets more difficult, and they must pull their feet out of the mud, which gives way with a satisfying pop!

Still, the Jedi lead proudly. Anakin pulls a girl from the mud, his hands clasped under her arms firmly to free her from the muddy trap, and he places her back down on a grassy patch. Obi-Wan squints through the rain, counting heads and nodding at the complaints that float past him. Circe, though she leads with a smiling face, is sinking deeper into misery.

"Your smile is surprisingly different from the feelings I'm picking up from you," Obi-Wan says, coming up beside her as they hike down the path that leads to the Temple.

"I don't know what you mean," She answers.

"Circe, you know he meant no harm."

"Harm? What could harm me? I've got a set of bodyguards to keep me from harm," She says coldly.